What's new

Dual mode

samfox

Reaction score
As Verizon enabled the function allowing anyone to place a call and surf/go to an internet site at the same time?? Or is this an AT&T thing??

yes, but only when in range of wifi, as far as i know. mine does both only at home...rather disappointing though...

As Verizon enabled the function allowing anyone to place a call and surf/go to an internet site at the same time?? Or is this an AT&T thing??

It's not verizon that's restricting this, it's apple and the way they built the phones. Something about the phone radio and data radio either being the same or sharing something. That allows only one at a time.

You have to have a 3G signal, do this all the time

You have to have a 3G signal, do this all the time

Ha! I doubt that. No CDMA phone is capable of simultaneous voice and data on 3G. You need 4G/LTE and any other phone (not an iphone) to do both at the same time. Or go with another carrier.

Sorry, I'm in the UK and I use google calendar for my business, will put phone on speaker whilst I book a customer in
Guess we have a different system over here

Sorry, I'm in the UK and I use google calendar for my business, will put phone on speaker whilst I book a customer in Guess we have a different system over here

That's probably why. US here.

CDMA phone do not allow for Dual Transfer Mode. Verizon and Sprint are examples of CDMA. You will not be able to use voice and data simultaneous on a CDMA phone. However GSM phones do allow for voice and data over the same channel. This covers many cell carriers and many phones, including iPhones on a GSM carrier. Apple has nothing to do with whether a carrier provides DTM.

Last edited:
You guys have me all curious now: If Verizon uses CDMA iphones & AT&T uses GSM iphones then how is it possible to use a Verizon iphone 5s on an AT&T plan/network after changing carriers? I've heard you could do it but how does that work? Is it the same phone or a different phone? Are they slightly different or something depending on which carrier you purchase the phone through?

CDMA phone do not allow for Dual Transfer Mode. Verizon and Sprint are examples of CDMA. You will not be able to use voice and data simultaneous on a CDMA phone. However GSM phones do allow for voice and data over the same channel. This covers many cell carriers and many phones, including iPhones on a GSM carrier. Apple has nothing to do with whether a carrier provides DTM.

My brothers Galaxy can do voice and internet at the same time and he has verizon.

I stand corrected! The newer LTE phones allow for talk and data except for iPhones. In the past no CDMA phone would do so, but now the dual mode allows for the DTM.