What's new

Dropped my iphone HELP

wanitto

Reaction score
I dropped my iphone 5 (fully updated) from a couple of feet last night. After veeery slowly running out of battery, it doesn't turn on, nor does the PC recognise it. However, when connected to power, it still 'charges'.

I changed my battery two months ago (very carefully), but the battery cable had a very small cut. It worked very well, so I assumed it was fine. After the drop, the phone's charge wouldn't increase, even while indicating that it is charging. After that, the phone started switching off and rebooting more and more often, while staying at a 3-4% charge. Opening my phone today, I noticed the cut had gotten bigger. So I changed the battery again, turned the phone back but the charge was still 3% and it wouldn't charge. It has now turned off.

I've tried resetting (only thing to do in this situation?)

I also posted this in the apple support communities: Iphone drop / not switching on | Apple Support Communities

Can you help?

Thanks

Unfortunately, it sounds to me like the drop has damaged the onboard controller chip that regulates your iPhone's battery and charging. With that, your only option would be a replacement phone.

Unfortunately, it sounds to me like the drop has damaged the onboard controller chip that regulates your iPhone's battery and charging. With that, your only option would be a replacement phone.

THANK YOU! I have posted this topic in multiple forums and you are the first to reply with an actual answer other than simply: check your insurance policy.
If it is the controller chip, would the phone still indicate that it is charging? (because it does)
Also, to make this clear, when I changed the battery, the phone worked perfectly for the short period of charge still left on the replaced battery.

Is there a way of changing it? (i.e. replacing the motherboard for a second hand one bought online?
Or maybe substituting the chip for a USB alternative when I need to charge?

Last edited:
UPDATE: It is very confusing and runs counter to all the advice I have received so far.

A small recap:
- 2 months ago: replaced original apple battery (myself) with a sub-standard one with a small rip.
- last week: dropped the phone, causing the rip to grow and rendering the battery useless. Replaced battery with a new apple-certified battery (done in a shop). Phone died once battery ran out, would not take charge, would not be recognised by PC but would display "charging" when plugged in.
- today: re-replaced the original apple battery (myself) and everything seems to be working and charging as it should.

Was the problem with the new-shop-replaced-apple-certified battery? Or was it a problem with the Logic Board [battery controller chip - U2 IC] (in which case, the phone working is an anomaly and will stop working at any time, or with the next shock)?

OR is Apple messing with us and programmed the phone to not accept replacement batteries?

Apple replaced the battery in my IP5 last Sept. So it's not that Apple won't let replacement batteries work. GL on your research.

Apple replaced the battery in my IP5 last Sept. So it's not that Apple won't let replacement batteries work. GL on your research.

Thanks.

I read somewhere that Apple don't replace batteries, but instead replace an entire phone with a 'refurbished' one. My question was more whether the iPhone can detect a non-apple-certified battery. The concern stems from this article I read that said that using a generic iPhone 5 charger could damage the phone (the U2 IC chip, that controls the charging).

That I can not speak to but I do know that last fall Apple began doing battery replacement and other basic repairs, in store. My battery was replaced while I waited. Previously, under Applecare, they just swapped the phone out as you said but not now

So, finally, figured that it's actually just two faulty replacement batteries causing problems. The logic board is not damaged (had it diagnosed by a pro). Maybe I'll get a new one from Apple this time.

Good to hear you worked it out, Let us know how it goes after the battery replacement.