What's new

Download purchased ringtones

econklin4

Reaction score
I purchased some ringtones in the iTunes store. But I was on my Mac when I did it, so they were downloaded to the Mac. When I synced with my iPhone, they were downloaded as music, but are not recognized as ringtones. How can I get them into my ringtone collection?

I purchased some ringtones in the iTunes store. But I was on my Mac when I did it, so they were downloaded to the Mac. When I synced with my iPhone, they were downloaded as music, but are not recognized as ringtones. How can I get them into my ringtone collection?

You have too pay apple another 99c each to convert them to ringtone format. Or follow this guide to convert them yourself.

Things You'll Need:
  • iTunes
  • Mac or Windows computer
  • Non-DRM song (i.e., one not bought from the iTunes Store)

1. Step 1
    Open iTunes.
  2. Step 2
    Find the song that you want to make into a ringtone.
  3. Step 3
    Listen to the song and find the part of it you want to use. The chorus may be a good place to start.
  4. Step 4
    Write down the start and stop times of the clip.
  5. Step 5
    Right-click the song and select "Get Info."
  6. Step 6
    Click the "Options" tab.
  7. Step 7
    Type in the start time of your ringtone in the text box next to "Start Time" in the minutes:seconds (i.e., 2:01) format.
  8. Step 8

Type in the end time of your ringtone in the text box next to "Stop Time." Make sure the ringtone is no more than 40 seconds long.
  9. Step 9
    Click "OK."
  10. Step 10
    Right-click your song again and select "Convert Selection to AAC." Wait for iTunes to convert your song. It will create a duplicate version.
  11. Step 11
    Right-click the ringtone and select "Delete."
  12. Step 12
    Click on the "Keep Files" button.
  13. Step 13
    Find the file. It's usually in your User folder under "Music > iTunes > iTunes Music" and under the band's name. It will have an extension of m4a.
  14. Step 14

Replace the m4a extension of your ringtone with m4r. You can either double-click slowly to rename your file, or right-click and select "Get Info" on a Mac or "Rename" on a Windows PC.
  15. Step 15

Click "Use .m4r" or the PC equivalent when the system warns you that the change may affect the use of your file.
  16. Step 16

Double-click the ringtone file. ITunes will automatically add it to your ringtones folder in your iTunes Music Library.
  17. Step 17
    Connect your iPhone and sync your ringtones.

What about for "protected" files (theoretically, of course)?

Can you burn to a disc then re-import as mp3, then do the above procedure? Haven't tried it but it might work. Not sure if a burned mp3 or aac file is recognized as "protected."

1. Step 13
    Find the file. It's usually in your User folder under "Music > iTunes > iTunes Music" and under the band's name. It will have an extension of m4a.
  2. Step 14

Replace the m4a extension of your ringtone with m4r. You can either double-click slowly to rename your file, or right-click and select "Get Info" on a Mac or "Rename" on a Windows PC.
  3. Step 15

Click "Use .m4r" or the PC equivalent when the system warns you that the change may affect the use of your file.
  4. Step 16

Double-click the ringtone file. ITunes will automatically add it to your ringtones folder in your iTunes Music Library.
  5. Step 17

It downloaded as an m4a, and has the right length. I tried changing it to an m4r, but iTunes still doesn't recognize it. When I double-click it it just plays. Where is this ringtones folder? Can I put it there myself?

I really wish I could manage my iPhone myself instead of playing all these games!

1. Step 13
  2. Step 14

3. Step 15

4. Step 16

5. Step 17

It downloaded as an m4a, and has the right length. I tried changing it to an m4r, but iTunes still doesn't recognize it. When I double-click it it just plays. Where is this ringtones folder? Can I put it there myself?

I really wish I could manage my iPhone myself instead of playing all these games!

Not sure where the folder is, but if you weren't taken to the folder with 2 versions (the orig and the chopped one) when you hit "show in finder" it seems like you might have missed a step. Took me a few minutes to get the hang of it...

1. Step 13
  2. Step 14

3. Step 15

4. Step 16

5. Step 17

Not sure where the folder is, but if you weren't taken to the folder with 2 versions (the orig and the chopped one) when you hit "show in finder" it seems like you might have missed a step. Took me a few minutes to get the hang of it...

Not sure what you mean. I didn't have two versions. I wasn't chopping an mp3 for this, it was a ringtone from the outset. I can find the ringtones. I just can't figure out how to persuade iTunes to install them *as ringtones* on my iPhone! Just tell me how to do that!

I have had an issue syncing photos that I have cropped or saved from the Internet or mail. I have to e-mail them to myself to download on my Mac, delete them from my phone, restart my iPhone, and then the rest will import. Anyone else having this issue?

Not sure what you mean. I didn't have two versions. I wasn't chopping an mp3 for this, it was a ringtone from the outset. I can find the ringtones. I just can't figure out how to persuade iTunes to install them *as ringtones* on my iPhone! Just tell me how to do that!

You havetoo pay the extra 99c for apple to convert it.

Sorry I'm out of town and not at my desktop, so I can't be more specific.

When I do the above procedure, and finally get to "show in finder" I see two versions, one long and one short (the chopped version), which is the one I change the extension for. By double clicking it, it somehow ends up in the iphone ringtones folder.

When I get home to my desktop with all the stuff on it I'll see if I cam get more technical. It was tricky at first but just following the directions helped. I did have to do some maneuvering in the prefs in iTunes to get the option for AAC conversions in the menu.

You have too pay the extra 99c for apple to convert it.

Sorry, I just don't understand. I paid $0.99 for a ringtone. It's on my Mac. I don't need and can't use a ringtone on my Mac. I want to put it on my iPhone, as a ringtone. Why is this a big mystery? Why should I have to pay another $0.99 to convert a ringtone to a ringtone? Can someone please explain what's going on?

That's just the way apple charges to turn a third party "clip" called a ringtone..... Into m4r format so the phone can use it.

That's just the way apple charges to turn a third party "clip" called a ringtone..... Into m4r format so the phone can use it.

I bought this ringtone from the iTunes store; it's not a "third party clip". It's a perfectly legit ringtone; I have a receipt for it from iTunes. My *only* mistake was buying it from my Mac instead of my iPhone directly. Is there really *no* way to remedy this?

Sure you can download it free again thru your iPhone. But if it hasn't been converted to m4r you will as stated havetoo pay 99c to convert it on your Mac then sync to your iPhone.

Here is a great how to video to make ringtones.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alEkvwJy4_0[/ame]