What's new

Don't Want First Letter on Separate Line in Contact List Display

Myer

Reaction score
New to iPhones (6s).
I don't have that many contacts in my list. The Contacts Display starts with the first letter of the last name on a line and then displays the contact name, etc on the next line.

Since my display starts with the last name, I would like to eliminate that line that only contains the first letter.

Is that possible?

Thanks.

Not sure what you're asking for since mine doesn't display like you're kinda describing.

Go to Settings -> Mail, Contacts, Calendars and scroll down to the CONTACTS section. You can change and tweak a bunch of settings on how your list is sorted and if you go into the "Short Name" menu, there's a few more options.

I'm on iOS 9.3.2, just in case you're wondering.

Not sure what you're asking for since mine doesn't display like you're kinda describing.

Go to Settings -> Mail, Contacts, Calendars and scroll down to the CONTACTS section. You can change and tweak a bunch of settings on how your list is sorted and if you go into the "Short Name" menu, there's a few more options.

I'm on iOS 9.3.2, just in case you're wondering.

I'm on 9.1 (is this something I should somehow update?).

My contact list display looks like this

D
Dickens Charles
Dumont Sandra
G
Goodfellow Sam
Goodguy William

I would like to not display those lines that only have the heading letter

New to iPhones (6s).
I don't have that many contacts in my list. The Contacts Display starts with the first letter of the last name on a line and then displays the contact name, etc on the next line.

Since my display starts with the last name, I would like to eliminate that line that only contains the first letter.

Is that possible?

Thanks.
That can't be changed. That letter is there to make it easier to search an alphabetically sorted list. All contacts with a business name or a personal last name beginning with the same letter are shown in alphabetical order under that letter. It's a very practical way to search a large list. Since Apple has no way of knowing how many contacts a particular user will have in their contact list, they have to design a system that will work with a list of any length.
IMG_0479.JPG

I'm on 9.1 (is this something I should somehow update?).

My contact list display looks like this

D
Dickens Charles
Dumont Sandra
G
Goodfellow Sam
Goodguy William

I would like to not display those lines that only have the heading letter
My contacts list only displays the heading letter if there is at least one contact with that letter. Heading letters with no contacts are not displayed. Check out the screenshot in my previous post.

Mine also only displays a letter if there is at least one contact for that letter.

I just figure that since the first letter of all my names is the first letter of the last name, there's no reason to have all of those heading lines. Most letters only have one contact in them.

The search could still work. It's the display that I would have liked to modify.

Ok. I can live with it. Thanks.

Mine also only displays a letter if there is at least one contact for that letter.

I just figure that since the first letter of all my names is the first letter of the last name, there's no reason to have all of those heading lines. Most letters only have one contact in them.

The search could still work. It's the display that I would have liked to modify.

Ok. I can live with it. Thanks.
Apple has to design the contacts list to work with any number of contacts as they have no way of knowing how many contacts any particular user will have. They use a similar way of organizing lists in music, for example.