What's new

Does iCloud let you store ALL your photos/vid/docs/etc? Do they stay?

VydorScope

Reaction score
I do not yet have an iPhone, and nor Lion. (I plan to install Lion this weekend) So I do not know anything other then what I read about iCloud and it is not clear to me. If I at some point receive the iPhone 4s that I ordered and I go out shooting lots of pictures/vids will they all automatically go to iCloud, and stay there? I saw one place that said after 1000 photos old photos get removed, another place that said that photos older then 30 days are removed, and a third place that said if you use a PC they stay forever. What about documents and other kinds of files?

I aslo think I read that contacts, mail, and calendar are stored in it, are they ever deleted?

I guess what I am trying to get at, is with iCloud will I still need to sync to my Mac to back up all pictures, videos, docs, and etc or will iCloud just take care of that for me? Thanks!

If you use iCloud as your backup tool, then yes everything goes there and stays there for as long as you need.

Now for the Photo Stream. That is a separate system and is designed for 2 or more devices to sync to your last 30 days or 1000 pictures (which ever comes first for rotation). Which means if you aren't using at least 2 iOS devices or an iOS device and a PC, then you technically don't need to have it on.