What's new

iCloud Storage full, but cannot figure out why... 'Docs'?? (Documents and Data)

Jay Piem

Reaction score
My wife and I each own a 64gig iPhone 6s. Each phone has 50gb iCloud storage. We are both running iOS10.3.1.

When we each navigate to storage and icloud usage, then icloud manage storage, I am using approx 20 of 50 gbs but she is using nearly 49 of 50 gbs (and getting "almost full" warnings). Each of our photo libraries are roughly the same (about 13 gbs) and our back ups are each approx 6 gbs. My documents and data show only 5.7 MB and hers is approx 4.8 MB (hardly anything).

The problem is when we go to Apple ID then to Storage, our photos (blue), backups (yellow) and email (orange) all look about the same. However, my 'Docs' section is a small sliver of green but hers is taking up most of the room left over after the other three. Visually it is as large as her other 3 combined. How do we see, edit and erase that?? I'm going nuts here!

I posted this question on the Apple support community pages but I received only one response essentially telling me to follow a link to a page that explains how to check storage on your device (which I've tried).

The only culprits I could think of that have enough data associated with them to fill up that much space are things like Dropbox and Google Drive. However, neither of them are storing data on the device (IE neither are set to "make available offline").

I would greatly appreciate any help. Thank you in advance,

-J

Welcome to iPhone Forums, Jay!

To find out what's taking her iCloud storage:
IMG_1726.JPG

Tap the bar that's showing her usage. Then select Manage Storage.
Scroll down to Documents & Data, tap "Show All" to see what needs storage in iCloud:
IMG_1727.JPG

From there, you can also tap the arrow to show more information, and to remove what's not needed:
Tap Edit at the top of the screen:
FullSizeRender.jpg

Then select "Delete All":
FullSizeRender 2.jpg

Hope that helps.

Welcome to iPhone Forums, Jay!

To find out what's taking her iCloud storage:
View attachment 32369
Tap the bar that's showing her usage. Then select Manage Storage.
Scroll down to Documents & Data, tap "Show All" to see what needs storage in iCloud:
View attachment 32370
From there, you can also tap the arrow to show more information, and to remove what's not needed:
Tap Edit at the top of the screen:
View attachment 32371
Then select "Delete All":
View attachment 32372
Hope that helps.

Your last pic deletes the app. Not just docs and data. You can stop back ups of docs and data by going to settings > iCloud > storage > Manage storage > iPhone (name) > Toggle off apps you don't want the docs and data backed up to iCloud.
Toggling off photos will prevent them from backing up.

Last edited:
OP, also check your deleted photos album. Delete those. They take up space in iCloud. Also photos and videos in the messages app.

Your last pic deletes the app. Not just docs and data. You can stop back ups of docs and data by going to settings > iCloud > storage > Manage storage > iPhone (name) > Toggle off apps you don't want the docs and data backed up to iCloud.
Toggling off photos will prevent them from backing up.
This doesn't delete the app itself, just the data that are stored in iCloud.

This doesn't delete the app itself, just the data that are stored in iCloud.

In settings > Manage storage > it deletes the app. But a little different from deleting it on the screen. When you tap the X, it deletes it totally. Reinstall it, and it's like you never had it before. It appears at the end on the last screen. If you delete it in settlngs > manage storage, then reinstall it, it goes back where you had it and not all the data was deleted. I have 5 Twitter accounts on my Twitter app. I delete it in settlngs, then reinstall it. All my accounts are still there and I don't need to log in. But the cache is gone.
I'm talking about when you delete from here:

IMG_1492888491.814867.jpg
IMG_1492888502.162339.jpg

She doesn't even have the option to "view all". There aren't apps using the type of space I'm talking about. If I delete all data under documents and data I free up a little bit but hardly the amount shown in that color chart. There's a lot of storage space being taken up that I cannot account for. Like 20 gigs or so.

Do you use iCloud Drive? If so: which apps are allowed saving their content to iCloud Drive?

Go to settings->your name (topmost line)->iCloud and you can see what backs up, if iCloud Drive is on, and what apps are allowed to store and retrieve data from iCloud

You can also see on the page before iCloud what other devices you have active that may be backing up to and storing data in your iCloud space