What's new

Diagnostic and Usage Data?

TGTyler

Reaction score
Setttings, General, about, diagnostics and usage, diagnostics and usage data.

1. How long is this going to stay on our phones?
2. Be careful what you look at because its listed in there.

Is there anyway to erase this data list from the phone?

Thanks.

1) Tell Hades freezes over. Since it is an "OPT IN" there is no harm in the feature.

2) HUH?

No. The data is rotated out over time so it doesn't take up much room. But if you want full tech support from Apple, especially if you are at a store, they may need this data to verify your issue.

Remember, what you think is wrong and what is actually wrong are two different things in a computer. You can only report what you observe. The data reports exactly what happens.

1. cool thanks for answer
2. open it up(see route I took in first post) and open some of the things in the list and they have some websites you have visited listed in there.
You are incorect on the observation issue. There are always at least three sides. Witness number ones recollection, witness number twos recollection and the truth.

1. cool thanks for answer
2. open it up(see route I took in first post) and open some of the things in the list and they have some websites you have visited listed in there.
You are incorect on the observation issue. There are always at least three sides. Witness number ones recollection, witness number twos recollection and the truth.

There are never three sides when it comes to electronic data. There is the observed behavior and the actual data which is the truth. I know this because I have been doing expert witness depositions for over 15 years. And none of the cases I have ever been involved with have ever made it to trial (which is why I can't say testimony as an expert witness) because I have always proven the users observation is not inline with the factual data on the computer. This has always caused the user to settle the case out of court.

"I know this because I have been doing expert witness depositions for over 15 years."

We know this because you have stated it in other posts.

Some of us still work outside of the magical, mystical world of electronics. In my world we do not get to work with given facts and actual data, only eyewitness of events and recollection of events of what appears to be the facts. Then the real "fun" begins.

Also in my first post I never said anything was wrong, only to be careful because it is being recorded.

I must admit I am rather fortunate to be in an industry and profession where the truth is 99% always in front of you. The only time we get the 1% is when someone good messes with the data. But that always shows up as an anomaly and then we know to start looking for "How did they change it?".

Riddle me this Batman, you seem to be pretty up on the new ios5. How do I change/add what comes up on the drop down screen thing? I have done the searches but havent found the answer yet. With so many new things on the phone i'm not sure what to call all of it.

I have spent over two months playing with iOS 5. So that helps a little :)

Go into settings. Then to Notifications.

You will see 3 sections.

1 - Sorting order.
2 - What shows up in the notification center pulldown.
3 - Apps that won't display anything in the notification center pulldown

So lets pick the Calendar app.

The screen that comes up allows you to set all of the features.

Lets set it to on for this demo.

Show items - 5 is good. But you might want more or less.

Alert style. This is a personal preference thing.
I use Alerts for anything I want to get my undivided attention since it pops up in the middle of the screen.
I use Banners for anything that I might want to see but if I miss, I don't care about. But I do set Badge App Icon to on to make sure I see it at a later time.
I use none for apps that only need a badge indicator. For me that would Words with Friends or Hanging with Friends.

Badge App Icon is the little red number counter.

View in lock screen is for when you just turn the phone on and want a quick glance at items that haven't been looked at directly.

Hopefully that helps.

Wow thanks, I understand it now. Will anything that I choose to show up, show up? I have the CNN app and I guess I'll wait until it updates to find out.

Does it need to be a "widget"?
The weather is a widget and the stocks are a widget. I wonder if they make a sport score widget?

Last edited:
Actually that is the biggest complaint I read. People set it up and then nothing shows up instantly. The reason is as you figured out, you have to wait for a new alert for the system to show anything.

It will delete when you sink with computer. It took 3 or 4 times but it worked for me.