What's new

Developing an app?

Espo

Reaction score
So i've had some very good ideas for apps that are not available and need some help here fellas.
I have ideas written down for about a half dozen apps that I would LOVE to see created, but then I thought to myself, why not try to have them made? Im not looking to get rich over it, just think they can be very entertaining/useful. So the other night, my buddies and I thought of a genius idea for another app for the iPHone 4. I purchased a domain, im talking to a few people to make the site, but I need to have an app made also. If it is done right, I can see it being a huge hit. So I have a few questions. The biggest question of them all is who do I contact to at least see if my idea is feasible, meaning if my idea can be made into an app. If so, I need to have it made, which in my eyes wont be too complicated of an app, but then again I know little-to-nothing about developing an iPhone app.

Any input would be great!
Thanks!

Pick an app you really like in the app store and there should be a link to get in touch with who made it. Obviosly don't give all the details unless they get properly in touch. Only way I can think of if you don't know any developers.

Pick an app you really like in the app store and there should be a link to get in touch with who made it. Obviosly don't give all the details unless they get properly in touch. Only way I can think of if you don't know any developers.

I never even thought about that! Yeah, I would never tell a developer my ideas until we had a contract or some other way for them to NOT steal my ideas and make the apps.

I will do just that today and see what I can come up with.

BUT my best bet is like I said, find someone local who I can work with on it. Hopefully of of my buddies co-workers at the local apple store will be able to help us out.

I never even thought about that! Yeah, I would never tell a developer my ideas until we had a contract or some other way for them to NOT steal my ideas and make the apps.

I will do just that today and see what I can come up with.

BUT my best bet is like I said, find someone local who I can work with on it. Hopefully of of my buddies co-workers at the local apple store will be able to help us out.

i dont know how hard is the programming language for developing an app but if you pay your $99 fee you can get licensing to develop an app and not share the profit

Making an app is very difficult. Everyone who loves the phone and has a little entrepreneur in them thought up ten ideas 2 years ago. Some people succeeded, others failed. Now on google I've seen advertisements that offer you 10% royalty if they choose to use your idea out of the 300 they have had to endure that month. No great programer in Objective C, with iPhone SDK experience is going to work for a great idea that is not his, unless he keept 80%+. Makes sense to me. If you just wish it existed trust me someone has made it or is making it right now. If you don't belies me you'll see.

I can answer this from the perspective of a developer. We just did our first iPhone app a few months ago and are working on the next two now.

I totally agree with Descobar. It's a lot of work to put an app together, and usually you have no shortage of ideas of your own, so why build someone else's app and have to deal with those hassles?

You could hire someone by the hour (just do a search on Google and you will see plenty of ads) but since iPhone is hot right now, they can charge big bucks to businesses with deep pockets so you have to REALLY believe in your concept.

You might interest someone on a royalties basis - but unless you own the rights to "Elmo" or have some super secret special business expertise most developers would rather do their own stuff. And even if they do take it on a royalties basis - the "cut" for the idea is going to be small. There is an old saying that building anything is 3% inspiration and 97% perspiration. Plan accordingly. If you have a serious marketing plan and some experience in that area, you'll do much better on the percentage.

You could also try a local school to see if you can find a student to partner with that would like to build it to get experience. Or you could even try it yourself. You could start free as long as you have a Mac. You don't have to pay the $99 until you are ready to sell it. But figure at least 6 months to learn what you are doing there if you already know some programming.

The best advice though before you get started would be to make sure no one else has already done it. It's very sobering seeing that someone else already spent the money and got nowhere, but you'll be really happy when you find them!