What's new

data usage

Or maybe it vary from devices to device? I do not have a 3G and my hardware is a Hong Kong one. So maybe it's build with hardware codes to turn off wifi while in sleepy mode? I'm getting confuse at this point as to why mine switch to EDGE even in wifi range when the screen goes off.

Of course of you have wifi and 3G on, if there is no wifi then it will use 3G.

The OP was suggesting that his phone uses 3G when his screen is off even though wifi is available. Unless for some reason the wifi signal becomes unavailable or to weak during the night there is no reason why the phone would switch to 3G automatically...

Do you have any messenger app in your iPhone? Like Nimbuzz, or Skype, or Yahoo, or Msn messengers? If you happen to have anyone of those then try this and let us know the results. Note that I'm talking about iOS < to 5.
Disable "My 3G" or "3G unrestrictor"
Turn off "data network"
Make sure that you are on wifi and lunch anyone of those messenger, after a successful login, turn off the display and leave it sit there for about 15mn or so. After that, press the home button, tap on the messenger app icon you are testing and you will notice that it will now try to reconnect again to Internet.
If your results are like I said, then here comes a question. Why will the messenger get disconnected while the phone was sleeping even though the device was connected to wifi. Only one answer to that question is because you've turned off the data network.

Its true the wifi does go into some sort of sleep mode when your phone is locked. That's why when you go to unlock it you usually see the 3G icon briefly befor the wifi wakes up. I've done similar tests to the one you describe when I was on iOS 4. If you leave an app in the background and lock your phone with both wifi connected and a 3G signal the wifi will still be used of needed. You can test this out by resetting your network usage then doing the test you described with both wifi and 3G on...

So if there are times when you don't want your 3G to run, couldn't you simply go into settings>General>Network and disable the 3G?

And at the same time, if you don't want your wifi to run, disable that by going into Settings>Wi-Fi and tap to disable?

Closing any apps that retain a constant connection would help in going over data usage? Plus airplane mode on... before going to sleep wouldn't this be the easiest way guys?

For some reason I felt like I was right. I retain the wifi connection no matter what state it's in. I never use the 3G on my phone but all data apps still connect the way it would while sleep. My light weight nap theory is what I'm going to stick by

You can also go to the location services in settings and turn off what you dont want running it seems as almost every app asks for your location.

I've turned off 3g and made sure all my apps are turned off and with mobile data turned on i will see if the phone does still download at midnight via network rather than wifi.!.. Will let you all know when i get the date usage. Thanks for replys has been very helpfull

For some reason I felt like I was right. I retain the wifi connection no matter what state it's in. I never use the 3G on my phone but all data apps still connect the way it would while sleep. My light weight nap theory is what I'm going to stick by

As gaz.... wrote above, and in my experience, wi-fi is disabled in Lock (Sleep) mode. Recently, I "updated" one of my apps. It was a relatively small download, and my iPhone went into lock mode during the download. Many minutes later I unlocked the phone and saw that my update started to resume in wi-fi mode. (My 3g/cellular is OFF) But that's MY iPhone.....

EWyatt said:
As gaz.... wrote above, and in my experience, wi-fi is disabled in Lock (Sleep) mode. Recently, I "updated" one of my apps. It was a relatively small download, and my iPhone went into lock mode during the download. Many minutes later I unlocked the phone and saw that my update started to resume in wi-fi mode. (My 3g/cellular is OFF) But that's MY iPhone.....

It's the same setup I have.

I wonder if the continued data usage is due to a 'rouge' app installed on a jail broken phone?

Mine is not jail broken, but then I don't get clobbered if I go over, apparently I'll get 'throttled back' by t-mobile if I exceed their 'unlimited internet' fair usage policy (what ever that is lol!).

CP

I called att and customer service clearly told me that apps go over 3g no matter if ur using wifi or what and that if I wanted to go to bank of america or other sites that I was better off using the browser and not the app because the app would come off of my 3g usage even if I was connected to wifi

iphone128 said:
I called att and customer service clearly told me that apps go over 3g no matter if ur using wifi or what and that if I wanted to go to bank of america or other sites that I was better off using the browser and not the app because the app would come off of my 3g usage even if I was connected to wifi

How will the apps go over 3G when wifi is enabled. The cs rep you spoke to didn't know what he was saying. Once you connect to wifi it pushes 3g out of the way. So if you want to use the bofa app it won't use anything from your data plan as long as your connected to wifi. Now if younturn wifi off then it'll start using your 3G datat

Thats correct I can have all bars in 3G but if I'm on wifi and signal is only 1 or 2 bars the apps and web browser dosnt do anything.

Call that CS rep back and ask them how apps work on the iPod touch...no 3G!

iphone128 said:

Switch on "Airplane Mode", and then switch on "WiFi". Nothing can use or go through 3G with this setting. No phone, no SMS, no Location Services, no Apps, nothing.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using iPF.net