What's new

Data speeds with iphone 4

apple

Reaction score
How is download and upload speed of verizon iphone 4 compared to other verizon phones like incredible or fascinate?
If it's one minute for page to load i would be rethinking purchasing this product since i need fairly good internet access.

My phone runs really fast. Faster than my droid x was imo.

apple said:
How is download and upload speed of verizon iphone 4 compared to other verizon phones like incredible or fascinate?
If it's one minute for page to load i would be rethinking purchasing this product since i need fairly good internet access.

Terrible. Took 15 minutes to download an 8 mb app.

I'm actually finding that the upload/dl speed on myiPhone is slower than my Droid, using the 3G network. However, if i am on Wifi the speed increases dramatically. I ran a few tests using the 'Speedtest' App, and here are my results. I ran the test 3 times each. On the 3G network, and then using wifi:

3G

1st Test: Ping: 353ms/Download Speed: 0.12 Mbps/Upload Speed: 0.18 Mbps
2nd Test: Ping: 389ms/Download Speed: 0.15 Mbps/Upload Speed: 0.12 Mbps
3rd Test: Ping: 428 ms/Download Speed: 0.09 Mbps/Upload Speed: 0.07 Mbps

WiFi

1st Test: Ping: 84 ms/Download Speed: 1.31 Mbps/Upload Speed: 0.42 Mbps
2nd Test: Ping: 82 ms/Download Speed: 1.46 Mbps/Upload Speed: 0.52 Mbps
3rd Test: Ping: 78ms/Download Speed: 1.48 Mbps/Upload Speed: 0.54 Mbps

As you can see the results using WiFi are much faster. I'm sure my location at the moment has something to do with it (at work), however i am suprised at how much faster the phone Uploads/Downloads using WiFi. It's not a huge deal to me because i have WiFi access at both work and home, but it still suprised me a bit. The closest server that Speedtest could connect to was 22 miles away from me. I don't know how much of a difference that makes, but I'm assuming the closer you are the better.

Obviously your location, inside/outside buildings, etc will affect the results.

Hope this sheds some light.

*EDIT* I should of realized my office building was probably helping block some of the signal. My office is practically right in the middle of the building, away from walls or windows.

Last edited:
wifi - 4.99 down - 1.80 up

3G - .31 down .73 up

About 100 miles from the server for 3G. High speed cable for the wifi.

Are those speeds typical to verizon 3g no matter what phone you are using, or is this just something with iPhone and all the other devices are faster on 3g?
I'm debating if i should go with iPhone or Incredible and i dont want to be locked in 2 year contract if i get iPhone.

I can't say because my last phone had no way to test the data speed. I do live int he sticks, though, but I don;t know if that matters.

Data speeds are about the same as any other device for me, i did a speed check on ATT iphone and verizon iphone.. att download was at 5.2 MB and Verizon at 1.5 MB hugeeeeee difference

This is funny.. That guy above me is lien.. Goto youtube and search speed test iPhone 4 Verizon smoked AT&T everytime. My iPhone is. Double what u guys r even talking about I'm 3 hours from the nearest tower.. I'm jail broken so maybe tugs the diff but still AT&T is slower then Verizon their homie...
So many false claims here.

Verizon's 3G network is much slower then AT&T's, that's a fact. Now it varies based on location, you may have full bars on Verizon but with AT&T perhaps just 2-3 bars, which would explain why you notice Verizon is faster. As for the YouTube video, it's probably just his location. I've had full bars on Verizon 3G where I got well over 1Mbps, and other times full bars and only 300Kbps, it depends on the cell towers utilization and other factors.

You aren't 3 hours from a tower, if you are implying it takes you 3 hours to drive to the closest tower.

AT&T is not faster me and my friend both have I phone 4 and I have Verizon and ge has AT&T... Thrue avd thrue his is slower.. Thier is tons of YouTube videos to even support this... Believe what u want ur wrong...

Wow, uber grammar fail here...

And the "tons" of videos are ones from the announcement more often than not, but for the vast majority AT&T IS faster, that IS a fact.

However, it does heavily depend on the service in the area... And I am not experiencing those slow of speeds on my phone, I average around 1Mb/s down and .8Mb/s up. (Verizon iPhone btw)

And to everyone giving wifi data speeds, of course wifi will be faster than 3G lol

well guys.. i will do the speedtest again on AT&t iphone again and capture the results for you.....Verizon is better service but att does have good 3g speed maybe not everywhere. but i still love verizon....altho i do think they could bump up the bandwidth on their 3g network a little.

AT&T is not faster me and my friend both have I phone 4 and I have Verizon and ge has AT&T... Thrue avd thrue his is slower.. Thier is tons of YouTube videos to even support this... Believe what u want ur wrong...
Again this may be true for your particular area, but overall AT&T is faster. Do some research, you will find the theoretical and actual download/upload speeds are at least twice as fast with AT&T then Verizon (not including 4G).

My 3GS had speeds of 2.05Mbps last April and my ViP4 can barely touch 0.75Mbps in the same location almost a year later. Att is definitely faster when in a solid 3G area but not as reliable. I always switched from 3G to edge on AT&T but as everyone says, it's all about location. Some people have the exact opposite results that I have had.

I have found nothing to support AT&T Is faster.. I've found alot supporting Verizon is faster..

Not a serious post right? I mean I love my VZW service and hated my AT&T but AT&T is WAY faster at top data speeds than VZW. Unless you are talking about LTE. My VZW iPhone can't touch AT&T data speeds at my location. Both with full signal.

Real world difference isn't always as apparent but AT&T is definitely a faster data network but not as reliable.

I have found nothing to support AT&T Is faster.. I've found alot supporting Verizon is faster..
AT&T iPhone Beats Verizon in Nationwide 3G Speed Tests | Gadget Lab | Wired.com

AT&T iPhone vs. Verizon iPhone: Which Performs Better? CIO.com

Those are the first few that popped up when I searched for "Verizon vs AT&T speeds"

Not a serious post right? I mean I love my VZW service and hated my AT&T but AT&T is WAY faster at top data speeds than VZW. Unless you are talking about LTE. My VZW iPhone can't touch AT&T data speeds at my location. Both with full signal.

Real world difference isn't always as apparent but AT&T is definitely a faster data network but not as reliable.
Same here, I had AT&T for 3 years and I've had Verizon for almost a year now. I love Verizon's service but I hate it's slow speed.