What's new

DATA Connection While Using VOICE Call

IgorOV

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
This is my first post to this forum!

I got a doubt about that.

Is it normal to have the DATA (3G) connection dropped during phone calls?

Some times it seems to keep the 3G connection alive, but suddenly (as if the connection was idle) the connection closes and as soon as I hang up the phone call, the data connection goes active again

Once ago, I tried to use (have some research, during phone call) and got a popup on screen say something like "cannot use data connection while using phone call"

So, because of that, I started thinking that is a normal thing to happen instead of being an iPhone issue(my particular one) or even carrier issue.

Can someone explain more about that?

(I have an iPhone 4S - 16Gb - Unlocked(original), bought in US, but I live in Brazil)

Regards,

Igor

Hi, welcome to iPhoneForums. I'm Jon.

Please take some time to peruse the IPF Rules
: iPhoneForums.net Forum Rules - Please Read and Respect our Rules

Here are some guides that may suit your needs.

iPhone Tips & Tricks

What is jailbreaking?

Thinking of Jailbreaking but are not sur
e

Understanding and Utilizing RedSn0w

Can I Jailbreak my iPhone on this iOS/Jailbreak Status Thread

My particular field of expertise is iOS Jailbreaking and Unlocking.

The iPhone 4S does not support talking and surfing, and many carriers for the iPhone 5 do not support multitasking as of yet, meaning calling and web/data required actions since they basically dedicate the entire line to the call when you're on 4G rather than using the conventional 2G or "regular" phone signal. Remember that you can make calls over 3G and 4G and it does use up data as well.

the iphone 4 and 4s have the antennas as part of the side banding, if you get your fingers across it shorts out and signal drops. using in a case overcomes this design error

Good to know my iPhone's got no problem. It's weird that some times it does work the DATA while speaking on phone. For example, I get some "SKYPE Notifications" or even EMAIL Notifications..... but some times goes off the 3G at the top and can not use. What would you say about that?

Crowd, some times I put my iphone on the car craddle while driving and when my phone rings and I press the bluetooth button on the audio system and as soon as the converstation starts, the 3G at the top disappears. I mean, there was nothing holding it at all (or covering)

IgorOV said:
Crowd, some times I put my iphone on the car craddle while driving and when my phone rings and I press the bluetooth button on the audio system and as soon as the converstation starts, the 3G at the top disappears. I mean, there was nothing holding it at all (or covering)

tbh i have never noticed it on either my old 4 or my current 4S, but then i'd rarely use data when on a call.

Any wireless reception is not solid, many issues can affect it such as how far you are from the 'node' how busy that node is, buildings in the way and so on.

if you fairly sure you have a fault, perhaps book into an Apple store who can test it properly for you.