What's new

Custom message tone on iphone 4, anyone?

Didn't know about this limitation. I'm sure I've had more than 5 before. Could be wrong...

If you are not jailbreaked and you are on 4.3.3 try it out, it will only take 15mn maxi of your time. You will figure it out by your self. I'm sure that when you were able to load morethan 5 ringtones you were jailbreaked.

thanks bab

You are welcome:) but why don't you JB to be able to have better access to your phone? After JB you can even load 5mn song to your phone as ringTone, and load as many as you want as well.

With a jailbroken iPhone you could use bitesms to set message tones as default and as individual ringtones for contacts.

Didn't know about this limitation. I'm sure I've had more than 5 before. Could be wrong...

If you are not jailbreaked and you are on 4.3.3 try it out, it will only take 15mn maxi of your time. You will figure it out by your self. I'm sure that when you were able to load morethan 5 ringtones you were jailbreaked.

Your probably right but I've always added my ringtones via iTunes so im not sure jailbreaking would make a difference. I'm on iOS 5 just now but will try get time to do it tonight and see...

Your probably right but I've always added my ringtones via iTunes so im not sure jailbreaking would make a difference. I'm on iOS 5 just now but will try get time to do it tonight and see...

Yes, the fact that you have jailbreaked and open ssh is on the device will remove limitation on iTunes about the ringtones, you can even not only you can use iTunes to upload more than 5 ringtones but also you can upload any ringtones of 60s or 120s, the only thing you must do is to convert a m4a file into a m4r file and then just upload it to iTunes and sync it to your phone. No limitation when jailbroken. If you aren't jailbroken, then you are limited to 5 ringtones and 30 or 45s for a ringtone.

I cant wait till the ios 5 is final so we can buy and change all tones.......

There is not a 5 ringtone limitation for my iphone 4. I have over 30 that I made on there for testing purposes. Maybe the difference is mine is with Verizon? Just a guess and doesn't seem likely.

There is not a 5 ringtone limitation for my iphone 4. I have over 30 that I made on there for testing purposes. Maybe the difference is mine is with Verizon? Just a guess and doesn't seem likely.

Not jailbreaked? Used iTunes to upload the 30 ring tones?

Ok then there must be a problem with my computer. When i sync itunes it says mtp driver failed does that have anything to do with it? Just got new i phone thought that other iphone was problem but it says the same thing with the new one.

Nope not jailbroken, just out of the box iphone4. I have over 100 .m4r's on my computer. I can try to find the limitation if you like :) As of right now, 31 are in my iTunes 'Ringtones' section and all of them are sync'd to my phone.

Nope not jailbroken, just out of the box iphone4. I have over 100 .m4r's on my computer. I can try to find the limitation if you like :) As of right now, 31 are in my iTunes 'Ringtones' section and all of them are sync'd to my phone.

Then maybe I'm the only one having that limitation??? I'm on 4.3.4 right now and I couldn't get 6 ringTones on my phone. Same to the size which limit me to 30s otherwise it just doesn't sync. I will wait for other to confirm that they can load more than 5 ringtones, then I will look into what I'm missing here.

Black F.U iPhone 4 with stock iOS 4.3.4.

I can load more than 5. I actually have 18. I converted my ringtones into the m4r format and it worked normally for me in iTunes.

I can load more than 5. I actually have 18. I converted my ringtones into the m4r format and it worked normally for me in iTunes.

Ah well then I'm the only one with this issue. However, I'm jailbreak now and I'm also capable of loading whatever a lot of ringtones in the iPhone. When I was on the stock iOS I couldn't load more than 5 despite how I tried, so I conclude it could be one of those limitation of iTunes but I was wrong in my conclusion then. My bad.