What's new

Custom Back Plate Replacements?

homerb

Reaction score
I'm curious to see if there are any custom back plate replacements out there besides that "300 year old African Wood" replacement that costs a few thousand dollars.

I think it's a neat idea to get a custom back replacement (not overlay) made out of neat materials such as carbon fiber, titanium, wood, or other types of glass.

I'd like to buy a backplate with the "machine turned metal" pattern made out of aluminum, steel or titanium. (See attached photo)

Attachments

• $ist2_53925-machine-turned-metal-finish.jpg
    $ist2_53925-machine-turned-metal-finish.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 3,000
When I saw how easy it was to remove i wondered this also. I also wonder if replacing it with an aluminum back would mess with the signal more..... Would be a nice upgrade from glass if you were really hard on phones.

I was thinking the same thing when I saw the video of someone taking the Iphone apart. Replace the back glass with a stronger material. I'm sure someone will try it unless it interferes with the reception like Dannyboy said.

You probably cannot use metal as it will short the antennas. Maybe a carbon fiber back.

Carbon fiber back would be sweeeet.

But I hear that replacing the back glass is harder than it looks in that video. There's some sort of epoxy?

were going to be making something in line of what you are asking...it may be a month or so away at least... but sit tight!

were going to be making something in line of what you are asking...it may be a month or so away at least... but sit tight!

Oh yeah? What are you making? Let me know!

Is it going to be like that $3000 African Wood custom back plate? ha

Homer

Carbon fiber back would be sweeeet.

But I hear that replacing the back glass is harder than it looks in that video. There's some sort of epoxy?

I think it's only the front glass that has epoxy. The griffin reveal etch case has the same look as what you're looking for but I'm not sure if it's metal

Will it just replace the glass plate, or will it be the plug and play glass plate + back casing?

Hi, I have this cool idea sticking iphone to my car dock magnetically.
But instead of putting a metal or a magnet to the back of the phone, i want to
just change the back plate to iron. That way it just stick to magnet which i will be placing
on the car dock.
I want to make sure the iron back plate stick to the magnet. Does anyone know?