What's new

Creating Wi-Fi Hot Spot on iPhone 4

cosmos_molo

Reaction score
Hey! i hope this is the right place to ask this question. I recently bought iPad2 and wanted to create wi-fi hot spot on my phone to be able to use wifi on my iPad2. Please give me any info whether it is possible at all and what shall i do if it is. Any help is appreciated. My current version of software on iphone4 is 4.3.1. Thanks.
As far as i know to enable tethering on iPhone without JB you have to pay to AT&T but from what i heard you can JB iPhone and create a hot spot so you can use it without ATT&T being involved.

cosmos_molo said:
Hey! i hope this is the right place to ask this question. I recently bought iPad2 and wanted to create wi-fi hot spot on my phone to be able to use wifi on my iPad2. Please give me any info whether it is possible at all and what shall i do if it is. Any help is appreciated. My current version of software on iphone4 is 4.3.1. Thanks.
As far as i know to enable tethering on iPhone without JB you have to pay to AT&T but from what i heard you can JB iPhone and create a hot spot so you can use it without ATT&T being involved.

Sorry to inform you but AT&T can get involved...anyways it's possible to tether to your iPad. If you have a tethering plan go into settings>general>network and scroll down to enable personal hotspot. Other method is to purchase and install mywi from Cydia.

I would suggest using TetherMe as opposed to MyWi. TetherMe enables the built-in hotspot feature without having to pay the additional monthly fee to your provider. MyWi is actually a standalone application that enables tethering, however in the recent months it has been determined that Verizon and AT&T can detect MyWi use and they have been automatically charging people for tethering who were using MyWi.

Also if you are on an unlimited plan it has been said that AT&T or Verizon will permanently move you to a tiered data plan if you use MyWi.

It doesn't matter what tethering application you use. Your network will find out eventually.

So yes, you can tether your iPhone to use the Internet on your iPad, but not without you network finding out eventually...

It doesn't matter what tethering application you use. Your network will find out eventually.

So yes, you can tether your iPhone to use the Internet on your iPad, but not without you network finding out eventually...

That's not true. TetherMe uses the built in wireless tethering so there's no way to detect it. All they can tell is that you are using data, they cannot tell where the data is going or coming from. At best they could ASSUME that you are tethering with 3rd party software based on the amount of data you are using but they would have no way of proving that.

MyWi is easily detectable since it is a standalone application.

I have been tethering with TetherMe for a year and a half. I use about 10-40GB of bandwidth every month and I have never once received a notice or warning from my provider.

The key word in my last post was eventually. That's why I put it in bold. I don't understand the exact method on how the networks can tell the difference between tethering and normal use but they can and will eventually. People have been using mywi for long enough and the networks are catching up with them...

They will never be able to detect tetherme, like I said it uses the built-in tethering function so there's no way for them to detect it. The only way they can tell is by guessing based on how much data you are using. But they can't just remove you from your unlimited plan because you are using a lot of data because there are plenty of people who use a lot of data for streaming netflix and such who dont even tether.

Well I guess we're just going to have to agree to disagree. If skull one catches on to this thread I'm sure he will have a thing or two to say about tethering...

All the people saying that they can detect that you are using a 3rd party tethering app is just hearsay. Nobody actually knows that for sure. I have even heard reports of people who don't tether AT ALL(not even jailbroken for that matter) getting notices about using unauthorized tethering and I have heard from plenty of people who tether CONSTANTLY who have never gotten a notice. It's pretty clear that they don't have an actual method for detecting 3rd party tethering applications.

If they did then all the MyWi users would be removed from their unlimited plans, not some, but all. And there wouldn't be any reports of people who don't tether getting notices for tethering.

More likely they have been /assuming/ that anybody that falls into the top 5% of data usage must be tethering.

They will never be able to detect tetherme, like I said it uses the built-in tethering function so there's no way for them to detect it. The only way they can tell is by guessing based on how much data you are using. But they can't just remove you from your unlimited plan because you are using a lot of data because there are plenty of people who use a lot of data for streaming netflix and such who dont even tether.

If I'm not on a unlimited plan an I'm using tetherme, are they going to find out that I'm tethering? If I'm on a limited plan, and I'm using tetherme, are the going to find out that I'm tethering?

I don't think the networks will care if your on a limited plan. It just those on unlimited plans that are using 10's of gb a month and clogging up the network...