What's new

Could the Next iPhone Have A Sony 8 Megapixel Camera?

Maura

iPhoneForums.Net News Team
Staff member
Reaction score
sony_camera_sensor.JPG

9to5 Mac has a very interesting report today from Seth Weintraub who managed to glean some very useful information when watching a live interview with Sony CEO Sir Howard Stringer by Walt Mossberg at Carnegie Hall in New York. In the course of the interview, Stringer says that Sony’s camera image sensor factory in Sendai was having problems after the recent earthquake and subsequent tsunami in Japan, before going on to say that deliveries of image sensors to companies such as Apple would be delayed. He then added that Apple gets their “best sensors” from Sony. Why this is interesting is because, as 9to5 Mac points out, Sony doesn’t currently make any sensors for Apple, so Stringer must have been talking about a camera image sensor for either the iPhone 5 or the next iPad, or maybe even the next iPod Nano. As 9to5 Mac notes, maybe this interruption in production at Sony’s Sendai facility is the reason why the iPhone 5 is not now expected to be released before the Fall? This theory gains even more credence with 9to5 Mac pointing out that back in April 2010 The Street was already saying that the iPhone 5 would have a Sony-made 8 megapixel camera, at the same time as they were (correctly, as it turns out) predicting that the iPhone 4 would have a 5 megapixel sensor.

Source: Howard Stringer says Sony image sensors delayed for Apple’s iPhone (updated) | 9 to 5 Mac Howard Stringer says Sony image sensors delayed for Apple’s iPhone (updated) | Apple Intelligence

i think the camera even now is impressive 5mp has been around for ages but the quality is actually good, my last nokia had 5mp but the quality was more like 1mp lol, and the sony's now last i saw it had 12mp. would of been nice to see the quality of the pics

I like the current camera. A camera upgrade would not make me want to purchase an iPhone 5.

i don't see the need to improve the camera in the 4 anymore than it currently is..

It would be good if the camera is upgraded however this wouldn't be enough to push me to upgrade from my iPhone 4, however the camera upgrade coupled with say 64gb or 128gb (highly unlikely) might push me over the line lol.

We just gotta wait and see...