What's new

Copying and pasting photos and videos from my computer to my iPhone

jmt356

Reaction score
When I connect my iPhone to my computer, I can view and copy photos and videos from the iPhone to my computer using Internet Explorer. I can not, however, copy and paste photos and videos from my computer to my iPhone using Internet Explorer. Is there a way to do this using iTunes?

iTunes can sync photos and videos to your iPhone. You'll find the instructions here: iTunes Syncing photos - Apple Support

I'm wondering about Internet Explorer. That's a browser.
Are you using Internet Explorer, or Windows Explorer to get the pictures and videos to the computer?

Sorry. I meant Windows Explorer rather than Internet Explorer.

I am trying to add my photos from my comptuer to another person's phone. However, when I connect the iPhone, iTunes automatically starts synchronizing. Is that going to cause my iTunes to match the other person's phone and/or cause the data on the other person's phone to appear in my iTunes? If so, how do I stop this automatic synchronization?

To stop this (it could also wipe the photos from your device), open iTunes before you connect your device, go to Edit - Settings - Devices and select Devices in the next popup. There, check mark "Prevent iPods, iPhones, .... from syncing automatically". That done, connect your device to the computer. It should not start syncing.

These are the steps I follow to copy photos from my computer to my iPhone:
- Open iTunes and connect your device.
- Click the iPhone icon, to the right of the TV Shows icon.
- Two menus will appear on the left: Settings and On My Device.
- Under Settings, click on Photos.
- Click on Sync Photos from and choose the arrow next to My Pictures.
- Select Choose folder…
- Navigate to the folder that you wish to synchronize.
- Click Apply.
However, this causes ALL of the photos in a particular folder to synchronize to the iPhone. Is it possible to only select some of the photos?

These are the steps I follow to copy photos from my computer to my iPhone:
- Open iTunes and connect your device.
- Click the iPhone icon, to the right of the TV Shows icon.
- Two menus will appear on the left: Settings and On My Device.
- Under Settings, click on Photos.
- Click on Sync Photos from and choose the arrow next to My Pictures.
- Select Choose folder…
- Navigate to the folder that you wish to synchronize.
- Click Apply.
However, this causes ALL of the photos in a particular folder to synchronize to the iPhone. Is it possible to only select some of the photos?
Not that I'm aware of. My solution to this was to create a photos folder named "Synced with iPhone." Then using Windows Explorer I select and copy photos that I want to be on my phone and paste them into that folder. Choose that folder to sync with and you're all set.

I believe that after I set up iTunes not to synchronize automatically when connecting my device, iTunes stopped launching automatically when connecting my device. Is there a way to permit iTunes to launch automatically when connecting my device without having iTunes automatically synchronize my device?

Hi jmt356, I noticed you are having many issues with your photos and organization/viewing of them. I am not sure it it will help, but have you tried reading the chapters in the iPhone manual to get you familiar with your camera app and photo app? We are here to help of course, but it might help to read through it a bit. I believe Chapter 11 and 12 deals with the camera and the photo app.
http://manuals.info.apple.com/MANUALS/1000/MA1565/en_US/iphone_user_guide.pdf

Again, don't hesitate to ask here as well!

Thank you xrayeyes for this suggestion and thanks to all on this forum who have helped me as I discover my new iPhone.

The only literature that I received with my iPhone was a Quick Start Guide. It gives a brief paragraph about the Photos app that does not treat the app in any detail, nor does it discuss iTunes. Perhaps there is an online manual that you are referring to?