What's new

Choose a carrier to lock?

conrus12

Reaction score
I bought a iPhone 4S from a private seller and I know it's a sprint phone. But after I select my language and country, the next screen asks me to choose a carrier to lock myself into, has anyone seen this and how can I bypass it to see what iOS is running? I have a pic of the screen and would like to show someone to see if they have seen. It gives me the option to select sprint, verizon, virgin mobile (sprint mvno) and then several regional carriers including cricket, can I really select the one I want? Cause I would like virgin mobile but I read everywhere that they require you to buy a phone from them, so how do I know? Any input would help, thanks

To find the iOS that's running, download the latest version of RedSn0w, plug it in, and go to Extras > Identify and check out the Device Firmware on the device. As for picking a carrier, that's actually a first. I don't remember that popping up on my 4S's when I set them up. I think Virgin Mobile has a prepaid unlimited plan. You can buy the SIM and load the 40 some dollars for it (I believe it's 40 some)

If memory servers, a factory unlocked iPhone 4S will ask that at initial setup and if you ever go into Settings to select a Carrier.

If memory servers, a factory unlocked iPhone 4S will ask that at initial setup and if you ever go into Settings to select a Carrier.

A true factory unlocked I suppose. I don't get those when I'm on IMEIs. TIL

Thanks for the replies. I can't even get to settings, I have to choose the carrier first, and I don't want to do that until I know for sure. I wish I could send a pic of the screen. I tried putting my AT&T SIM card in it and doesn't allow it saying only a compatible SIM card from original carrier or one that is compatible.