What's new

Charging via the Lightning Connector

NSquirrel

Reaction score
I hope that this may be of interest to others:

I had endless problems on our iPhone 8s when charging via USB/Lightning cables. The slightest movement of the iPhone and the Lightning connector drops the contact and so stops charging. I have a large collection of cables bought over the years but each seemed as bad as the others.

I did a search today, I think on iFixit, and found the cause: a build up of lint in the Lightning connector. I had cleaned them out with a brush and contact cleaner over the years but to no avail.

The solution, which was reported on a varied selection of iPhone models, involves something preferably non-metallic, e.g. a flossing stick with a pointed end but take great care. Several comments have been from owners who went at it without care and so damaged the socket. The vast majority have been totally positive including some were on the point of simply replacing the iPhones.

Very carefully dig around the socket and you will, with luck, find small bundles of lint. Carefully extract the lint and try again.

I dug I suppose about 4/5 years worth. Now the connectors plug in with a snap and moving them or the iPhone does not break the connection.

Obviously if you only charge via a wireless pad, the above will be of little interest.

Please take care and note the warnings above. I do not accept responsibility for your mishaps.

If you want to avoid the collection of lint etc. from the lightning port you can get a pack of port protectors very cheaply from Amazon……

IMG_1146.jpg