What's new

Charging problems. Help please

Dplawton

Reaction score
Last week, my iPhone 6 started using the battery very fast. It would not charge to 100% and told me that all cables (including genuine ones) were not certified. Eventually, I was not able to charge it at all. I installed a new lightning/headphone port circuit and battery and it will now charge with some cables, not to 100%, and discharges quickly. It also seems to get quite hot whilst charging.

Funny that this started on the day the 7 was launched!!

Last week, my iPhone 6 started using the battery very fast. It would not charge to 100% and told me that all cables (including genuine ones) were not certified. Eventually, I was not able to charge it at all. I installed a new lightning/headphone port circuit and battery and it will now charge with some cables, not to 100%, and discharges quickly. It also seems to get quite hot whilst charging.

Funny that this started on the day the 7 was launched!!
Did you try restoring your iPhone before you started replacing pieces to see if that helped. Try setting up from a backup and if that doesn't work, try setting it up as a new iPhone. If that doesn't work, you could have a defective motherboard.

Normally I'd recommend that you take your iPhone to an Apple Store for a diagnostic at the Genius Bar but since you've attempted a self-repair, Apple will unfortunately not have anything to do with it.

As it was out of warranty, I thought I may as well have a go.
I have done a factory reset on it and it is still not charging fully or lasting a reasonable time.

Was the battery you installed an original Apple battery designed for your model of iPhone? Many third party batteries are of low quality and aren't up to standard.