What's new

Charging extremely slow, and not connecting to PC or iTunes

Ninety9

Reaction score
Hi all, I got an iPhone 4, that is charging extremely slow and not indicating that is charging. Nor will my computer or iTunes detect it even when in DFU mode. Tried different cables and different computers, no luck. Tried numerous other methods from online forums and still not working. I cant use my warranty since it is jail broken. I cant restore the phone since my computer and iTunes will not pick it up!

My only theory now (according to searching online) is that I think the internal fuse (or chip that performs like a fuse) is gone on it or my charging/data connector is no good anymore.
Would anyone please tell me if replacing the charging connector dock fixes this issue? I apologize if this has been asked before, but every time I found a post with the exact same issue, the problem is unresolved. Also I am 99% sure it is a hardware issue since I have had this phone connected and working to all the same computers. Any help or insight is greatly appreciated. P.S. does the "enter" function when using a keyboard on this site not work or is it just me?

There is a way to factory reset an iPhone on the phone itself but i doubt it will work anyway.

I actually had the same problem like you but i still had the warranty so i just turned it in and got a new one.
Unfortunatly i forgot to ask the important question of what the problem was.

If I was you, I would first try disassembling the logic board and put it in my spare phone. If it works on my spare phone i know it is not a problem with the logic board so it has to be a hardware fault. But again I guess not everybody has a spare iPhone 4 laying around.
Then if the logic board is okay I would go on about changing the charging connector dock.
The chances are that changing the charging connector dock will fix your problem. If the problem was just the battery, the phone would still work while plugged in but would turn off as soon as you plug it out again.

Some sites recommend that you try cleaning the charging dock at the buttom for dirt. Try with a toothpick.
If it still wont work then buy a new charging connector dock. Make sure the buy the right one!

Good luck

Thanks Trekzy for your reply. Im gonna look into the factory reset. I thought the only way to do that is through iTunes, but if theres a way without iTunes, Im willing to try it, and lose all my files on the phone. I agree it is not a battery issue. I am almost convinced it is the connector that's the problem. Im hoping it is, because replacing it seems like a job I could tackle. No soldering required, and I could get an OEM part from EBay for like $10. Again, thanks for the reply.