What's new

Character Count

dwip4

Reaction score
I'm not seeing the character count anymore in some of my messages. The User Guide states you won't see it if you use a subject or send video/pics, etc. I've done either. In fact I opened a new message and don't see it for two of the five mobile numbers I tried. Does anyone know why this is happening? Thanks.

dwip4 - iPhone using iPF.net

I'm not seeing the character count anymore in some of my messages. The User Guide states you won't see it if you use a subject or send video/pics, etc. I've done either. In fact I opened a new message and don't see it for two of the five mobile numbers I tried. Does anyone know why this is happening? Thanks.

Go to settings, messages. In here at the bottom is "character count" is this on?

iHolophyte

Yes, the option is on. I see it for some I send to, but not for others.

This seems the case. On sending a SMS I have a character count. On sending a iMessage I do not. So it does look like character counts are not available when using iMessage.

iHolophyte

iOS 5.0.1 bug. I do not have it for either SMS or iMessage. Characters count is yet turned on since day one in setting. I'm just hoping that 5.1 will fix it up.

iOS 5.0.1 bug. I do not have it for either SMS or iMessage. Characters count is yet turned on since day one in setting. I'm just hoping that 5.1 will fix it up.

I am on iOS 5.0.1 and it works for me. You have to also have subject field on.

Two photos taken Witt iMessage and SMS.

5c28fe29-2373-4970.jpg

5c28fe29-2385-61bd.jpg

iHolophyte

Could it be that there isn't a char limit for iMessages like it could be outside iPhone to iPhone messages?

Could it be that there isn't a char limit for iMessages like it could be outside iPhone to iPhone messages?

More than likely yes. As its a free service you can send 3,000,000 words and it won't matter where as if you sent the same through SMS it'd eat your allowance.

iHolophyte

Thanks so much. I used to use BlackBerry Messenger, and this sounds like the equivalent.

I have the same problem. However, I just composed an SMS and the character count was there. When I went to reply again in the same convo, it wasn't there anymore.

resq330 said:
I have the same problem. However, I just composed an SMS and the character count was there. When I went to reply again in the same convo, it wasn't there anymore.

Could be because the first went as an SMS, and the second as an iMessage. Once your iDevice figures it is communicating with another it will switch to iMessage automatically. If your contacts phone is off, it doesn't know and it goes as SMS.

And as far as I know, there is no character limit on iMessage.

Green message background = SMS
Blue message background = iMessage.

i hope imessage soon gets character count

Sent from my iPhone 4S