What's new

changing ownership and/resetting iPhone 6

shinnen

Reaction score
Hi,
I bought an iPhone 6 from a friend. She did not know how to erase her personal information and change the ownership,
so I'm trying to figure out how to do this.
I have her password and account name; but I suspect part of the process involves receiving a code (sent to her phone);
a code which will allow her proceed with removing the account; a code that I will not get.
OR .... Can I simply restore the phone to it's factory settings and be done with It?
Any help is appreciated.
..... john

No, you can’t just erase it, but it should be straight forward. Just go to Settings - Transfer and Reset . It will ask for your Password (which you have). You may have to sign out of Find My with the ID and password if it is switched on.

No, you can’t just erase it, but it should be straight forward. Just go to Settings - Transfer and Reset . It will ask for your Password (which you have). You may have to sign out of Find My with the ID and password if it is switched on.
Hi Caroline,
I don't have anything saying 'transfer' under settings. But there is an "Erase all content and settings" option under 'Reset'.
.... john

Just to make sure that all of her information will be removed, sign out of iCloud (Settings - her name - scroll down „Sign out“.
Erase all content and settings would be the next step, after signing out of her iCloud ID. Just follow the instructions to remove her information.

Hi J.A.
That's probably the sticking point. Correct me if I'm wrong, but to sign out of her iCloud account, after entering her account name and password (which I have) she will receive a phone confirmation email with a code that she'll have to enter to complete the process? Which means that we would have to do it from her home? She's not tech savy, which is why she didn't do this before selling me the phone; so I would have to be there with her? Right?
... john

Hi J.A.
That's probably the sticking point. Correct me if I'm wrong, but to sign out of her iCloud account, after entering her account name and password (which I have) she will receive a phone confirmation email with a code that she'll have to enter to complete the process? Which means that we would have to do it from her home? She's not tech savy, which is why she didn't do this before selling me the phone; so I would have to be there with her? Right?
... john
If you do need a code sent to her phone, could you perhaps arrange a landline call?

You don‘t receive a phone confirmation. You just have to sign out by entering the password. I‘ve just tried it on my iPhone.

A code is sent when you sign in.

If you do need a code sent to her phone, could you perhaps arrange a landline call?
Yes, or I will go to her house with the phone and do it there.
So .... there's no way of removing the ownership?
..... john

Yes, or I will go to her house with the phone and do it there.
So .... there's no way of removing the ownership?
..... john
If you go through the actions above, all traces of the previous owner will be removed and you can set it up from scratch and create your own Apple ID if you want to (and I recommend you do).

You don‘t receive a phone confirmation. You just have to sign out by entering the password. I‘ve just tried it on my iPhone.

A code is sent when you sign in.

If you go through the actions above, all traces of the previous owner will be removed and you can set it up from scratch and create your own Apple ID if you want to (and I recommend you do).
I added my email address to her account. I also tried to add my phone number; after which it said that a code would would be sent to the 'new' number; but the 'new' number is a landline, so a code couldn't be sent to it?
Thank you for your patience.
.... john

I added my email address to her account. I also tried to add my phone number; after which it said that a code would would be sent to the 'new' number; but the 'new' number is a landline, so a code couldn't be sent to it?
.... john
As far as I understand it, you‘re trying to remove her iCloud account and set it up as your device. When you sign out of iCloud, you don‘t need a code for signing out of her account. Also, signing out of her account will remove iCloud’s Activation Lock, so that it won‘t ask for the former owner‘s password any more.

Erasing all content and setting will remove every information on her iPhone, and the device can be set up as new. There won‘t be an email address or phone number connected to it, until you enter the information after erasing it. Erasing every information is necessary, so that the new owner can set up the iPhone as his/her own device, without any trace of the former owner‘s content on it.

The email address and number you‘ve added so far, will be gone as well. It wasn‘t necessary to add them before erasing the iPhone.

You erase the phone, then you change the ownership.

.... john
You are very welcome, but you shouldn’t add your details to her account. Maybe add them to Contacts. in some instances a code can be sent to a landline. It would be read out. My suggestion actually related to your friend maybe reading the code out to you over the landline.

Hi J.A.
Yes, when I first told her that I had erased as much of her personal information that I could, she said that she would have done so herself, but didn't know how; and that she would like to have all traces gone from the phone, which, as far as I can see leaves only her name and email address. That's when I got in touch with you, to see if I could, basically, remove the account name and her email address. (I think I deleted everything else.)
So, on her end (from what I've told you), does she have to do anything or can I do this myself?
....... john

You are very welcome, but you shouldn’t add your details to her account. Maybe add them to Contacts. in some instances a code can be sent to a landline. It would be read out. My suggestion actually related to your friend maybe reading the code out to you over the landline.
Ah yes, OK. I added my email address thinking that it would help me delete the rest of her info (in case I needed some code to do so) from the phone and/or reset the phone back to factory settings.

Hi J.A.
Yes, when I first told her that I had erased as much of her personal information that I could, she said that she would have done so herself, but didn't know how; and that she would like to have all traces gone from the phone, which, as far as I can see leaves only her name and email address. That's when I got in touch with you, to see if I could, basically, remove the account name and her email address. (I think I deleted everything else.)
So, on her end (from what I've told you), does she have to do anything or can I do this myself?
....... john
You should provided you follow the instructions to reset the phone. That removes all the previous owner’s details. Resetting to factory settings is also done to remove bugs.

Back