What's new

Can't update iPhone 4 to iOS 6

gray_mouse

Reaction score
Hi. I've done the update to iOS 6 on my 3GS and it was all fine, then I went ahead and tried updating my factory unlocked iPhone 4 to iOS 6, I don't want a jail break, and basically iTunes does the following:

1. It downloads firmware, then
2. It displays this error "firmware file not compatible"

I've tried fixing it, to no avail, I tried download firmware manually and updating using SHIFT key, happens same thing, same error. I've tried deleting all data and settings from iPhone and setting it up as new device, nothing, same error happens. I've tried updating from a different computer and got the same error.

What to do? Please help. I've looked around on the internet and on these forums, and nobody seems to have the solution.

Make sure you're using the proper IPSW. Remember that there are 3 types of iPhone 4:
iPhone3,1 = GSM iPhone 4
iPhone3,2 = Global Revised iPhone 4
iPhone3,3 = CDMA iPhone 4

You'll get the error you're getting by using the wrong IPSW either from a different type of the iPhone or just for a different device. And also, make sure you're on iOS 6.0.1.

Well my model on the back of the case is A1332. From about from inside iOS it is MD198LL. So it is iPhone 4 GSM. I've been downloading the correct firmware, and also I believe iTunes would download the correct firmware.

No need to download the iOS 6.0.1 IPSW... connect your iPhone to a computer w/ an internet connection and iTunes, turn your iPhone off, put it in DFU mode, then hit "Restore" in iTunes.

Like thomasjtsi said, all you have to do is make sure you have an internet connection and itunes. When you uodafe the software through itubes it automatically updates to the latest software (in this case ios 6)

Hi Thomasjtsi & Ivziggy. I have done what you have suggested, prior to this post and just now. The results are as follows: it downloads iOS firmware and then fails with incompatible firmware error message. I have to download firmware manually and upgrade, but then it gives me error 1394 -------- and yes my hosts file is clear. I also tried upgrading using TinyUmbrella server, and with that I get error 11.

On this same computer I have successfully upgraded to iOS 6 an iPhone 3GS and iPad 1.

I honestly don't know what to do anymore. People have suggested to upgrade from within the phone, but there is no option for that.

Double check for me that your iPhone is MD198LL and not MD198LL/A. Plug it into RedSn0w and use the identify feature

@willerz2
ModelNumber: MD198
RegionInfo: LL/A
HardwareModel: N90AP
HardwarePlatform: s5l8930x
BuildVersion: 9B208

@Ivziggy
MTC Russia, that's phone and 3G. My internet connection is via Yota LTE.

-----------------------------------------
This is a USA phone, friends in Miami gave it to my mom as a gift, and she gave it to me. It was unlocked when I received, i.e. I upgraded to iOS 5.1.1 9B208 and it was already unlocked.

I thought so. Your iPhone is the global GSM one. That's the iPhone 3,2, not the iPhone 3,1. I thought as much. But the weird thing is how the iPhone isn't already on iOS 6. I've seen cases of this with some of the company 4's that we had. Download the iPhone 3,2 ipsw

What should've given it away was the fact that it was still unlocked after upgrading to 5.1.1. Aghhhh I feel stupid not realizing it lol. The iPhone 3,2 is the unlocked iPhone that was pushed several times with 2 revisions iirc

Last edited:
@willerz2

This is a USA phone, friends in Miami gave it to my mom as a gift, and she gave it to me. It was unlocked when I received, i.e. I upgraded to iOS 5.1.1 9B208 and it was already unlocked.

So how do I upgrade it to iOS 6.1.1

I've tried upgrading to

iPhone3,1_6.0_10A403_Restore.ipsw - error 3194
iPhone3,2_6.0_10A403_Restore.ipsw - says incompatible software
iPhone3,3_6.0_10A403_Restore.ipsw - says incompatible software

If I let iTunes download the firmware, I get incompatible software error.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
I don't think there's an available download here. You might have to google for it because most providers don't carry the LL/A since they're not exactly mass sold from what I'm getting at

Hi willerz2.

I feel dumb asking this. What should I google for? I tried 'ios 6 LL/A' and 'LL/A firmware' and no positive results. Can you please help me find the correct IPSW for iOS 6?

gray_mouse said:
@willerz2

So how do I upgrade it to iOS 6.1.1

I've tried upgrading to

iPhone3,1_6.0_10A403_Restore.ipsw - error 3194
iPhone3,2_6.0_10A403_Restore.ipsw - says incompatible software
iPhone3,3_6.0_10A403_Restore.ipsw - says incompatible software

If I let iTunes download the firmware, I get incompatible software error.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

iPhone3,1_6.0.1_10A523_Restore.ipsw
this is the right one for you
not the 6.0 as its been updated now to 6.0.1

as for the problem... make sure you download the ipsw file from official applnd link
try these steps...
1. Check your iTunes version is 10.7 or 11
if error persists then keep checking this list...
2. Remove iTunes> restart windows n resinstall the latest iTunes downloaded from apple.com/itunes
3. try some other USB port
4. try some other USB cable
5. Try Some other computer