What's new

Can't Access my Office Wi-Fi

rn1033

Reaction score
I have an iPhone 4 running IOS 6.0.1. It appears to connect to the wi-fi system in my office, but it cannot access the internet via that path. My iPad 1 is perfectly capable of connecting to the same wi-fi system and accessing the internet through it. I am also (using the phone) able to access the internet via my home wi-fi and all public wi-fis that I have tried. My office Help Desk verifies that the wi-fi system is running normally and assures me that the problem is with the phone, since my iPad (and everyone else's wireless devices) works fine.

Any ideas?

You might need to drop the network and re-add it. Just click on the blue > and select "Forget this Network". Then double check the security key they gave you and reenter it.

I am not in the UK. I'm in Arizona, and I've already tried dropping and re-adding the network - no joy.
Thanks for your suggestion.

I am not in the UK. I'm in Arizona, and I've already tried dropping and re-adding the network - no joy.
Thanks for your suggestion, though
Further information - This is a public wi-fi that I'm trying to access. Normal process is to either hit the Safari icon or accept Mesa WiFi on the available wi-fi options screen. The the wi-fi system presents a page requiring the user to accept terms and conditions. I never get as far as the Ts & Cs. The spinner at the top left of the screen just spins forever until the battery dies or I shut off Safari.

That means something changed in the hand-off system from WiFi to Safari in 6.0.1. Sadly iOS doesn't allow redirecting to another browser to test where the failure is.

For grins and giggles, lets try something silly. Hard reset (hold the standby/sleep button and home button at the same time until the white Apple logo appears) and then immediately try to connect to the WiFi hotspot as soon as the phone can be unlocked. This will at least get iOS to a known condition and if it still fails, then you are looking at a true iOS error versus an application error.

If you have access to the network's gateway, you can try manually connecting your iPhone to that network. My cousin from Europe had the same problem when he came over. Certain wifi networks he could connect to, certain networks he can't. Still not sure why that's happening since the internet standards are the same in Europe and in the US. Ultimately we restored it and it worked. As skull said, you'll have to narrow it down to see if it's an application or an iOS problem

I tried Skull One's recommendation (Thank you, by the way) without success. As soon as I tried to start Safari, it searched for a few seconds and presented the page "Safari cannot open the page because youy iPhone is not connected to the Internet". The only change in behavior is it presented the message more quickly. Previously it has taken a minute or so, possibly more, to present that message.

If you have access to the network's gateway, you can try manually connecting your iPhone to that network. My cousin from Europe had the same problem when he came over. Certain wifi networks he could connect to, certain networks he can't. Still not sure why that's happening since the internet standards are the same in Europe and in the US. Ultimately we restored it and it worked. As skull said, you'll have to narrow it down to see if it's an application or an iOS problem

OP said he was in Arizona. He's not in Europe. I've been to Arizona, I can confirm that.:)