What's new

"Cannot Access Conflicts" error message

ladarnton

Reaction score
When attempting to sync my iPhone4 to Outlook 2010 on my Windows 7 PC I get the error message "Cannot Access Conflicts -- Unable to retrieve conflict information from the sync server. Please try again next time the conflict resolver window is presented." This happens every time I sync -- always the same 144 conflicts (143 Outlook Contacts and 1 Outlook Note), but they are NOT in conflict. The data is the same on the computer and the iPhone in every case. I tried using the iTunes one-time overwrite option to replace all conflicting items on the iPhone with the data on Outlook, but that did not work. This problem appeared suddenly with no hardware or, to my knowledge, software change: same PC OS (W7), same PC (Lenovo T400), same Outlook version (2010), same iPhone. The iPhone OS and iTunes versions have been updated regularly when prompted. Ideas? This MUST be happening to other people! I've looked all over the net, but have found no obvious solution, though lots of chatter. I searched all over this iPhone forum for this error message and found nothing. -- Lane Darnton, El Segundo, CA

I read on another forum today that I should Reset Sync History in iTunes. I did. It didn't help.

Found tghis on Apple Support Communities:
If you have a PC: Two things finally resolved it, not sure which worked -
maybe both needed. I went in and reset my synch history, and I also overrote my
contacts with my Outlook file -- a one-time sync. That ended the messages.

Did both, in that order. Resync'd. No joy.

I got this advice from Gator5000e on Apple Supposrt Communities:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Don't know if this has fixed the problem permanently but i just did the
following and it seemed to work. I use Windows 7 so the path to find this file
might be different under a different OS.

What I did was to rename the file called conflicts.synconflicts I renamed it
to conflictsold.synconflicts the .synconflicts is the extension so you can't
rename that. I then restarted my computer, opened iTunes and connected my
iPhone. It ran thru the full sync without any conflict errors. I only synced it
once and a second sync may cause the problem to reappear but I am too chicken to
try it right now. LOL!

Here is where I found the file in Windows 7:

OS(C:) Users/(USER NAME)/AppData/Roaming/Apple
Computer/SyncServices/Local/conflicts/conflicts.synconflicts
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I did this and it worked. Took three tries, but right now it's working. However, once that "conflicts.syncconflict" file gets renamed (or alternatively, you can just delete it), iTunes will not start automatically when you plug in your iPhone. However, once you start iTunes manuallly, it will execute the sync without issue. Or at least, mine did. It creates a new, empty conflicts.syncconflict file.

Interestingly, there is now also a new "unresolvedCount" file at that location. There didn't use to be. That may have been the problem.

FYI, I deleted the renamed "conflictsold.synconflict" file afterwards. It was a much larger file, 292 KB instead of what is now 1 KB. The "unresolvedCount" file is also 1 KB.

As a final test, I created a dummy contact in Outlook on my computer, and then synced again. This contact showed up on my iPhone correctly.

Problem solved? Heh heh. We're talking Apple/Windows here. We shall see.