What's new

Canadian Man Fined for Using Apple Watch When Driving

Maura

iPhoneForums.Net News Team
Staff member
Reaction score
Canadian man fined for using Apple Watch when driving.JPG

Before the Apple Watch launched there was much speculation as to how much of a distraction it would be when driving, and also how using an Apple Watch behind the wheel would be viewed by the authorities in those countries such as Canada and the United Kingdom where using mobile devices when driving is banned.

Well now we have the answer, with Phone Arena reporting that a driving in Quebec, Canada, has been fined $120 with four points on his license for using his Apple Watch when driving.

Jeffrey Macesin (pictured) told CTV News that when he was stopped by the Quebec police he was using the Apple Watch to scroll through songs, with his iPhone safely (or so he thought) stowed away in his bag. The police officers found him in breach of section 439.1 of the Quebec Highway Safety Code, which bans use of “a handheld device that includes a telephone function.”

Macesin feels that the Apple Watch is not a hand-held device, and is therefore contesting his fine, saying that it is in fact a Bluetooth device, use of which is permitted when driving in Quebec.

Source: Canadian driver fined 120 for using Apple Watch behind the wheel

While he could successfully argue that the Apple Watch is not a handheld device, he was looking at the watch screen, not the road, when he was changing the songs on his phone. It's that distraction that's the danger here.

Here in the UK it is illegal to use your phone while driving but every single day you see someone doing that very thing and unbelievably we saw someone resting a tablet against the steering wheel while driving, The fines just aren't stiff enough.

Here in the UK it is illegal to use your phone while driving but every single day you see someone doing that very thing and unbelievably we saw someone resting a tablet against the steering wheel while driving, The fines just aren't stiff enough.
It's not allowed in Austria too. Some people just don't understand that it's dangerous because of the distraction.

It's not allowed in Austria too. Some people just don't understand that it's dangerous because of the distraction.
It's bad enough that they talk on the phone but to text while driving is the height of stupidity but they do it.

This guy was even more distracted than someone who talks on the phone. Not only were his eyes on the Apple Watch, not on the road but his attention was involved in deciding which dong to play next, not on analyzing the road ahead. If this guy gets the ticket dismissed, I'd call it a miscarriage of justice and a green light for others to do the same.

When I was an over the road truck driver, I'd see people doing all kinds of stuff while driving. Like reading a book or newspaper, putting on makeup, even changing clothes!

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

When I was an over the road truck driver, I'd see people doing all kinds of stuff while driving. Like reading a book or newspaper, putting on makeup, even changing clothes!

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk
I saw a woman putting on her makeup once, I saw another doing her hair......Crazy irresponsible people.

If anything can possibly distract a driver, he'll find it and be distracted. Multitasking while driving is NOT a good idea.

Absolutely! I was about to cross at a zebra crossing a while back and a driver drove right across without stopping while clearly texting on his phone!