What's new

Can someone help a lady in distress please

amanda.jane

Reaction score
Hi everyone.
I have just discovered this forum and am hoping someone can help me ?.
Just had my new iphone 4 through an upgrade and loveeeeeeee it .

I have spent all afternoon trying to do the "make your own ringtone" thing through itunes ( i am running version 10.4.0.80 ),i have managed to crack it except one thing.
With my itunes open and on the left hand side i have under library,music,films,tv programmes,app and ringtones ( all still good )
under devices i have my iphones name,music,films,tv and again ringtones.
Now the ringtone i have vreated is in the ringtones folder under library,but not in the ringtones folder under device ?

Also if i click on my device,along the very top i have summary,info,apps,music,film,tv programmes,books and photos,NO ringtones ?
I have under edit/preferences made sure the ringtone box is ticked,but i just cant get ringtones in devices going along the top so the ringtone syncs with my iphone.

Please,Please,Please,can anybody help me out ?.
Thanks in anticipation
Amanda.jane . x .

Welcome to the forums. Please refrain from discussing anything relating to piracy. It's not allowed here.
Well anyways the file must be in m4r format. Try checking the manually add ringtones whatever on the first page of the summary screen and drag the ringtone into your iPhone.

Last edited:
Also, ensure that the ringtone is 29 seconds or shorter; otherwise it will not show up. I figured this out after going crazy for the better part of an evening.

And iCrank, she wasn't discussing piracy. "i have managed to crack it except one thing." refers to the fact that she has figured it out.

EDIT: I guess the official limit is 30 seconds, but for some reason I had better luck with 29.

Dave12308 said:
Also, ensure that the ringtone is 29 seconds or shorter; otherwise it will not show up. I figured this out after going crazy for the better part of an evening.

And iCrank, she wasn't discussing piracy. "i have managed to crack it except one thing." refers to the fact that she has figured it out.

EDIT: I guess the official limit is 30 seconds, but for some reason I had better luck with 29.

Yeah the understood it wrong. Thanks, I actually associate the word crack to piracy due to its nature in the tech world. And I also have ringtones that are longer than 30 seconds.

Yeah the understood it wrong. Thanks, I actually associate the word crack to piracy due to its nature in the tech world. And I also have ringtones that are longer than 30 seconds.

I know there is a way to make them longer than 30 seconds, but if you follow the most common tutorials on the net, that method won't work with longer tones (creating it from a tune in your library using nothing but iTunes). This may also only hold true for specific versions of iTunes, although i've seen it mentioned as more of a general thing with iTunes 10.x - I might be mistaken, but I believe older versions of iTunes had a 40 second limit. They say you have to do something special to make them larger:

How to break the itunes ringtone 30s length limit for iphone

And I agree, the word "crack" always raises a red flag with me as well; but it this case I got what she meant.

By the way, just to clarify; as far as I know there is no set limit on the iPhone for length of ringtone. I am referring to a specific limit allowed to be synced to the iPhone via iTunes, if the tone is longer it simply won't show up under the ringtones tab.