What's new

Can I short out battery with magnetic connector

ianrm57

Reaction score
Hi All,
I've been playing around with Wsken magnetic lightning cable. Only on an Ipad Mini 4 at this stage. Tho a 5SE may be in my future.

My question regards the small part of the magnetic connector that stays in the phone all the time.

If 2 of those connectors should get shorted, (when cable is not connected to magnetic adapter) seeing they are connected to the battery, could it damage the battery/phone?

For example, I've dropped a handful of small brass screws in my pocket and later dropped my phone in on top. The contacts on the magnetic adapter might come into contact with a couple of screws..

I asked the same question to a lady at Wsken, and got a reply that sounded like bullsh*t. It was "There are only two modes for mobile phone battery ,one is charging mode ,other is protection mode ,
When connect cable and charge mobile phone , charging mode start ,
When Disconnect connector , battery will automatically switch to protection mode , in protection mode battery will not discharge to the phone port , only supply power to mobile phone . So it is impossible short out when the cable is not connected "

Any thoughts on this theory anyone?

Thanks
Ian

Last edited:
Welcome to iPhone Forums!

Apple recommends using cables certified by them, otherwise you might damage your iDevice because of this cable, in the worst case scenario. There have also been injuries because of non-certified cables.
If Apple has certified your cable, there shouldn't be a problem using it.

Here's how to find out whether or not it's certified:
https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT204566

Hope that helps.

ianrm57, your safe to use the magnetic connector. All iPhones charging ports/circuit have over voltage, under voltage, short protection.

I've plugged shorted lightning cables into my 5s and 6 too many times to count. Nothing bad happened. There is no voltage present on the iPhone's + and - terminals when not charging. Li-ion batteries are too dangerous to not contain back feed voltage protection.

I've had too many to count OEM lightning cables direct from the Apple Store. Most of my cables failed by breaking one or more wires, however around 20% cables shorted + to -. I've had shorted cables connected for 4-6 hours before realizing the cable went bad.

If you have a DVM (digital volt meter), set it to voltage and touch the probes to the two exposed metal terminals. You'll see no voltage is present on the wsken metal terminals.

ianrm57, your safe to use the magnetic connector. All iPhones charging ports/circuit have over voltage, under voltage, short protection.

I've plugged shorted lightning cables into my 5s and 6 too many times to count. Nothing bad happened. There is no voltage present on the iPhone's + and - terminals when not charging. Li-ion batteries are too dangerous to not contain back feed voltage protection.

I've had too many to count OEM lightning cables direct from the Apple Store. Most of my cables failed by breaking one or more wires, however around 20% cables shorted + to -. I've had shorted cables connected for 4-6 hours before realizing the cable went bad.

If you have a DVM (digital volt meter), set it to voltage and touch the probes to the two exposed metal terminals. You'll see no voltage is present on the wsken metal terminals.

Thanks for that APX700,
That puts my mind to rest. I have only one arm and that magnetic connector sure does make life easier for me. Wondering if my pocket might erupt in flames was a worry till now.
Chees
Ian