What's new

Can I light up the screen without using the Power or Home buttons?

Eddegardd

Reaction score
iPhone 4, Ios 5.0.1 jailbroken

Hey Guys.. So, my power button isn't working anymore. It just started getting tough to press it and now it doesn't work and looks kind of loose. the problem is that I looked to fix it but found it too expensive. So I had an idea and would like to see if any of ou can help me:
Does anyone know i it's possible to light up the screen while it's blocked without using the power or home buttons? For example, using the volume buttons.
The thing is that with my power button broken, I don't want the same thing to happen to the Home button if it gets overloaded. What I was thinking is that as my iPhone is jailbroken and I downloaded Zephyr, which allows some gestures so that I don't need the home button if not eventually, if I just used the volume button, which today I rarely do, my problems would be solved: I wouldn't have to fix the expensive power button and wouldn't have my home button overloaded risked to break.

Can anyone help?

Thanks !

Last edited:
You can define any activator action (including using the volume keys on the lock screen) to toggle the lock status of your device. So, up/down on the volume keys whilst locked can unlock it, for example.

Additionally, ScreenDimmer will allow you to first dim, then turn off the backlight after a specified period of inactivity. If you combine this with making a change to the Settings so that the iPad never auto-locks, you can simply tap the screen to wake it up and you are back where you started! I find that really useful if the iPad is close at hand or protected in a case. It's pretty rubbish if your screen will get tapped accidentally!

Hope those help.

You can define any activator action (including using the volume keys on the lock screen) to toggle the lock status of your device. So, up/down on the volume keys whilst locked can unlock it, for example.

Additionally, ScreenDimmer will allow you to first dim, then turn off the backlight after a specified period of inactivity. If you combine this with making a change to the Settings so that the iPad never auto-locks, you can simply tap the screen to wake it up and you are back where you started! I find that really useful if the iPad is close at hand or protected in a case. It's pretty rubbish if your screen will get tapped accidentally!

Hope those help.
hey, thank you for your reply. I liked the tip about the ScreenDimmer. I'll try it, but will it work for my iphone either?
I have a point about using Activator. I've already tried it. It actually does work, but the problem is that, after it's been locked for more than 5 minutes for exemple, if I press the volume button the screen won't light up! It works to lock the screen and to unlock it as long as it's not been locked for more than 5 minutes. Do you know how to fix it?

Thanks!

Yes, it's fine for iPhone. I just said iPad out of habit...

I don't know about activator not registering after 5 minutes, sorry. It's not a feature I use, just one I knew was available in Activator. To be honest though, I'm not too surprised if it stops listening for certain things after the device is in sleep mode...

Last edited:
Yeah go into cydia and get activator. You can unlock your phone with the volume buttons!

Yeah go into cydia and get activator. You can unlock your phone with the volume buttons!
hey bamrad0101, thanks for your reply.

So, the doubt I have I just asked f4780y. I tried using activator as you told, but after like 5 minutes in sleep mode, if I press the volume button to unlock, it doesn't work. I don't know why. Does it happen to you? Have you ever used this feature?

Thanks!

It is not common practice to break both power and home buttons for single iPhone.
I recommend to find some non-Apple service and they will fix iPhone home button for some $20 since the home button comes very cheap from Amazon, eBay and other online stores. Apple charges $100-150 and obviously it is not worth the price.

Did you make sure that home button doesn't suffer from software related issues? iPhone home button not working properly? How to fix it? | Ubuntu Life

Eddegardd said:

So, the doubt I have I just asked f4780y. I tried using activator as you told, but after like 5 minutes in sleep mode, if I press the volume button to unlock, it doesn't work. I don't know why. Does it happen to you? Have you ever used this feature?

Thanks!

No that doesn't happen to me. My iPod is jailbroken, along with my iPhone 4, but my iPod has activator. When my iPod is in sleep mode, I push the volume up button and it unlocks

Thanks!

I have the same issue. After a few minutes, maybe 5 as you say, the iPod goes into some "deeper" sleep mode and cannot be lit up using the button I assigned as my new lock button (in my case, volume up short hold). Have you managed to solve this issue yet? Did you figure our what the other member did to make it work?

I have the same issue. After a few minutes, maybe 5 as you say, the iPod goes into some "deeper" sleep mode and cannot be lit up using the button I assigned as my new lock button (in my case, volume up short hold). Have you managed to solve this issue yet? Did you figure our what the other member did to make it work?

No dude. I haven't solved this issue. Even though sometimes in "deeper" sleep mode the volume button assigned as lock button works. But I just can't understand the reason. One solution I found out in Cydia is Shake to Unlock. However, while it's activated, the iPhone won't sleep. I mean, the screen turns off, but the battery drains as if I was using it. Because of that I continue overloading my home button and I honestly don't know for how much longer it will work. I would thank a lot if anyone presented a solution.

Thanks!