What's new

can an iphone pick up the signal from a radio doorbell extender?

corystes

Reaction score
If so is there an app to that the chime is heard on the phone? as a hard of hearing person, with hearing aids linked to an iphone it would be so useful to have the door bell sound in by aids, via the iphone. Even with bell extenders it's too easy to miss te chime.

Have you tried the Sound Recognition feature in Accessibility? Go to Settings >Accessibility > Sound Recognition > toggle on> Sounds> choose Door bell and maybe Door Knock.
WiFi has to be enabled.

Ledsteplin, thanks for the suggestion. There's so much hidden on the iphone. I tried it and got the feature activated. Sadly, although I got a visual alert, I didn't hear the sound selected, even though it was the loudest in the list. What I need is something that will boost the alert to my hearing aids, as the iphone does with an incoming phone call.

Ledsteplin, thanks for the suggestion. There's so much hidden on the iphone. I tried it and got the feature activated. Sadly, although I got a visual alert, I didn't hear the sound selected, even though it was the loudest in the list. What I need is something that will boost the alert to my hearing aids, as the iphone does with an incoming phone call.

No, you don't hear the sound. You get a notification of a doorbell ring. Does your hearing aid not pick up the door bell ring? Are you too far away from it? Could you wire another bell closer to where you need it? They have door bell extenders. Google it.

'No, you don't hear the sound' I assumed you would, since a selection of possible sounds is offered.
Yes my hearing aids do pick up the door bell, when they are close enough to it, but aids to not replicate normal hearing any more than a crutch replaces a missing leg. They just help a bit. I already have a door bell extender, which is why I am wondering if there is any way to get it's signal delivered to my hearing aids in the same sort of way that I can get TV audio boosted directly to my aids. Then I don't need extra bells in every room to be sure of hearing the door chime where ever I am.

'No, you don't hear the sound' I assumed you would, since a selection of possible sounds is offered.
Yes my hearing aids do pick up the door bell, when they are close enough to it, but aids to not replicate normal hearing any more than a crutch replaces a missing leg. They just help a bit. I already have a door bell extender, which is why I am wondering if there is any way to get it's signal delivered to my hearing aids in the same sort of way that I can get TV audio boosted directly to my aids. Then I don't need extra bells in every room to be sure of hearing the door chime where ever I am.

If your hearing aids work with your iPhone, then maybe a Smart Door Bell is what you want. It would send sound and video notifications to your iPhone. And your hearing aids would pick up the sound. But I'm not sure. It's something to check out.

That's a great suggestion. I'll look into it. Thanks