What's new

Buy the iPhone 5 outright on launch?

AppleFan91

Reaction score
So I'm a VZW customer who used my upgrade for the 4S and I'm not due until next June for another. Does anybody know if I will be able to pay full retail when the preorders open? Obviously it's not announced but did anyone do this for the 4 or 4S? Thanks!

As I recall we had to wait about a month to purchase factory unlocked models. The carriers had the first shot at early adopters.

thewitt said:
As I recall we had to wait about a month to purchase factory unlocked models. The carriers had the first shot at early adopters.

Like I don't even care if it's unlocked. I'll buy it locked to Verizon, just at full retail. If this isn't possible can you add a line and preorder?

Yes you can preorder one if you add a line but you will have to switch to the share everything plan unless you buy it out right and not add a line but if you add a line you have to switch plans this is what they told me yesterday

I have a 4s 64gb with AT+T and they I am eligible for a phone upgrade to anyphone but the iphone 5! If i want the 5 I would have to pay $650 plus a new two year plan or wait till my contract is up in May 2013 to get the apple prices. So it looks like I will be staying with the 4s. Its probably better for me this way that way if theres any issues found after release they can fix them before i get mine. I plan on another 64gb one when i do get one.

Spoke with a rep at the Apple store, nothing official yet on the iP5 but the CDMA iP4S is not available unlocked. I'm prety sure Verizon will offer it at full retail however, you can purchased the Verizon iP5 at full retail from Apple and then activate on your line.

There have been multiple reports concerning keeping your unlimited data plan with Verizon that stated your unlimited plan will remain if the phone is purchased at full retail.

AppleFan91 said:
So I'm a VZW customer who used my upgrade for the 4S and I'm not due until next June for another. Does anybody know if I will be able to pay full retail when the preorders open? Obviously it's not announced but did anyone do this for the 4 or 4S? Thanks!

yes you can preorder and buy it at full retail value and then replace the model on your account

Here in the UK 4s was available unlocked from Apple right away,im assuming it will be the same for 5.

Here in the UK 4s was available unlocked from Apple right away,im assuming it will be the same for 5.

it will be but I think in the US that wont be the case but it should not be a problem buying one at full retail locked to verizon

it will be but I think in the US that wont be the case but it should not be a problem buying one at full retail locked to verizon
yes i remember now the sales person last year saying how lucky we are in the UK as they had to wait to buy an unlocked phone.

poeticvibez07 said:
yes you can preorder and buy it at full retail value and then replace the model on your account

Is this with any carrier or just Verizion. I would get the 5 if I could get it for Apples listed price and replace it with the AT+T 4s I currently have. AT+T wants the price Apple announced plus an extra $250 to switch to a 5 for there current customers

Poisonivy said:

Ahh awesome. I arrive in London early morning on launch day, wouldn't mind picking up one to take back to NZ as I get back a week or so after launch there and it'll be most likely sold out.

Ahh awesome. I arrive in London early morning on launch day, wouldn't mind picking up one to take back to NZ as I get back a week or so after launch there and it'll be most likely sold out.
you will probably need to be at an Apple store pretty early on launch day,theres usually very long queues,i understand theres some kind of ticket system,good luck,hope you get the one you want.

Poisonivy said:
you will probably need to be at an Apple store pretty early on launch day,theres usually very long queues,i understand theres some kind of ticket system,good luck,hope you get the one you want.

How early is "pretty early"? I arrive at around 6am, just need a place to stash my gear and make my way to a store.

How early is "pretty early"? I arrive at around 6am, just need a place to stash my gear and make my way to a store.
from what i understand the Apple stores open at 8am,its worth checking that out though,in any case the queues start earlier than that so you should be fine.