What's new

Bricked jailbroken iphone?

dekaman

Reaction score
I bought a used iphone on ebay that had a line on screen and was jailbroken.

It did not accept my network sim though so wanted to format and start again.

I went into settings and used the delete everything option and after it it jams on the logo(a white snowflake) and I had to leave it overnight.

Now it will not charge nor be recognised by windows, if you put usb cable in the battery symbol appears and a lightning bolt if you remove it you get a picture of a cable and lightning.

It seems to "charge" for a few minute then try and boot up then get stuck in that loop

Its a 16 gig 3gs

I cannot tell if its bricked also because the home button is a bit dodgy as the side of the case is loose so you have to squeeze the button to get it to work.

Try using redsn0w while booting in tethered

dekaman said:
I bought a used iphone on ebay that had a line on screen and was jailbroken.

It did not accept my network sim though so wanted to format and start again.

I went into settings and used the delete everything option and after it it jams on the logo(a white snowflake) and I had to leave it overnight.

Now it will not charge nor be recognised by windows, if you put usb cable in the battery symbol appears and a lightning bolt if you remove it you get a picture of a cable and lightning.

It seems to "charge" for a few minute then try and boot up then get stuck in that loop

Its a 16 gig 3gs

I cannot tell if its bricked also because the home button is a bit dodgy as the side of the case is loose so you have to squeeze the button to get it to work.

Way too little information.

You really should have done some research on Jailbroken iPhones before doing anything.

1) No one can suggest trying *anything* without knowing what model iPhone you have.

2) You can *never* use the "Erase All Content and Settings" option on any Jailbroken device. It will *always* cause a boot loop. Every time.

3) your device is not *bricked*. Being bricked means the device needs to physically be rebuilt to use it...where it as actually completely incapable of being used...hence the term "bricked"

4) Do *NOT* use redsn0w to *anything* with your device while it is in the boot loop state. Completely useless at this point in time.

Once again....I could probably help you out...if I knew:
Device *model* (iPhone 3G, 3GS, 4, 4S)

Now since you clearly rely on an unlock you CANNOT under any circumstances restore the phone in iTunes to a stock iPSW.

If the device is an iPhone 3GS or newer..and you restore in iTunes...then you will now have a very expensive over sized iPod Touch.

It is important that you do not *do anything* until you tell me what device *MODEL* you have.

If you already restored and updates to the latest stock iOS...then it may very well be too late..and you will not be able to use the phone on any other carrier for a really long long long time...and when I say long time I mean *years*.

Please post back your device model...

whether it not you restored to stock firmware

Whether or not you live in the US (important to know for networking issues).

I need to know *everything* you have done after you put the phone in a boot loop.

Sorry, I assumed you would know by putting 3GS 16gb in the text.

By model do you mean date as if so its about week 15 of 2009(cant check now as phone is stuck)

All I have done to phone is select that wipe setting then get stuck on loop nothing else, have not flashed back to stock or updated(its an older version as when I tried getting real apps it said my iOS was below what was needed.

Im in UK.

All I have done with it is connect to pc and try and press power and home buttons.

dekaman said:
Sorry, I assumed you would know by putting 3GS 16gb in the text.

By model do you mean date as if so its about week 15 of 2009(cant check now as phone is stuck)

All I have done to phone is select that wipe setting then get stuck on loop nothing else, have not flashed back to stock or updated(its an older version as when I tried getting real apps it said my iOS was below what was needed.

Im in UK.

All I have done with it is connect to pc and try and press power and home buttons.

No. Your totally right. Sorry. Don't know how I missed that....well I do...but anyway.

This is what you should do.

Download the iOS 5.1.1 iPSW for your device model here:http://theiphonewiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=firmware

Save the iPSW to your desktop.

Now download Sn0wbreeze from here: ih8sn0w.com

Save Sn0wbreeze to desktop..extract..and drag the .exe to desktop. (sometime shows up there automatically after extracting the .zip).

Open Sn0wbreeze.

Select your iPSW file. Click Browse.

Make sure you choose "Activate iPhone (Hactivation)" in the General tab.

Click the blue next button, let the iPSW build.

After the iPSW is built it will automatically save to your desktop.

Now... You *MUST* use iREB to enter PWNED DFU mode before restoring in iTunes. iREB is located within Sn0wbreeze as usual.

Once you get the success message that you have entered DFU mode..open iTunes.

On your keyboard hold down the shift key *while* you click the restore button.

Navigate to and double click on the Sn0wbreeze iPSW file on your desktop through the pop up window.

Let me know how that goes.

OK, do the above instructions apply to my predicament? I have an i-phone 4s running 5.1.1 I was ill advised and jailbroke my phone.

I decided to get rid of jailbreak by resetting to factory settings. I am now in the never ending loop Help!

bilko65 said:
OK, do the above instructions apply to my predicament? I have an i-phone 4s running 5.1.1 I was ill advised and jailbroke my phone.

I decided to get rid of jailbreak by resetting to factory settings. I am now in the never ending loop Help!

DFU restore to the 5.1.1 iPSW.

hi, can anyone help me i have recently had my i phone jailbroken and as soon as i got it back i am now unable to recieve notifications via twitter and facebook, all the notifications are on via the setting of the app and on the settings of the i phone..... if this fixable???

I have a sprint 4s 5.0.1 that was jailbroke using tethered absinthe about 4 mos ago. havent had any issues until now.

Phone died last night, so i plugged it in this morning, a couple seconds later I heard the usual beep signaling its connected and charging. well it continued to beep every thirty seconds. so i looked at the screen and it kept going back and forth from the battery/charging screen to a black screen with a small round icon in the center. i let it charge for a few minutes, it kept beeping so i unplugged it now it bounces back and forth from the home screen and the black screen with the white round icon. i tried powering off the phone but it wont let me.any advice? thank you

mnmax said:
I have a sprint 4s 5.0.1 that was jailbroke using tethered absinthe about 4 mos ago. havent had any issues until now.

Phone died last night, so i plugged it in this morning, a couple seconds later I heard the usual beep signaling its connected and charging. well it continued to beep every thirty seconds. so i looked at the screen and it kept going back and forth from the battery/charging screen to a black screen with a small round icon in the center. i let it charge for a few minutes, it kept beeping so i unplugged it now it bounces back and forth from the home screen and the black screen with the white round icon. i tried powering off the phone but it wont let me.any advice? thank you

That is called a "respring loop".

You need to hard reboot...if that does not work...you need to disable Mobile Substrate on boot.

You do this by holding the volume up button the whole time it boots.

Once booted...it will be in a safe mode state. Nothing jailbreak related will work. You should uninstall the last tweak you installed once your booted up.

If that does not work...you need to restore.

My iPhone 4 CDMA is JB tethered on version 5.1. I bought an iPad and tried something I obviously shouldn't have. Now, it appears to be "bricked"... Or I can't get it back to life anyway. My question, to narrow it down, a LOT. What do I do to bring it back to life? I used redsn0w 0.9.10b8b to JB tethered. I would like to restore it and update to 5.1.1 so I can JB untethered. Do I need a custom firmware? If so, where do I get it? Also, anything you can do to help would be greatly appreciated. I love my phone, and don't want to have to wait for the iPhone 5, until I can have a phone again. If I've left out any info required for you to assist, let me know. Again, I'd really love to hear from you, and I'd appreciate it, more than I can explain in this post.

Snake23 said:
My iPhone 4 CDMA is JB tethered on version 5.1. I bought an iPad and tried something I obviously shouldn't have. Now, it appears to be "bricked"... Or I can't get it back to life anyway. My question, to narrow it down, a LOT. What do I do to bring it back to life? I used redsn0w 0.9.10b8b to JB tethered. I would like to restore it and update to 5.1.1 so I can JB untethered. Do I need a custom firmware? If so, where do I get it? Also, anything you can do to help would be greatly appreciated. I love my phone, and don't want to have to wait for the iPhone 5, until I can have a phone again. If I've left out any info required for you to assist, let me know. Again, I'd really love to hear from you, and I'd appreciate it, more than I can explain in this post.

Just download the 5.1.1 iPSW for your device *model* here: http://theiphonewiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=firmware

Then save it to your desktop. NEVER download iPSW files from Internet Explorer. Alway use Chrome or Firefox.

Plug in iPhone..enter DFU mode.

Open iTunes.

Hold done shift key on keyboard *while* you click the Restore button in iTunes.

Within the pop up window locate and double click the iOS 5.1.1 iPSW on your desktop.

Let iTunes do the rest.

Be sure to SETUP AS NEW device and NOT from any kind of backup. Not an iCloud backup..not an iTunes backup.

After restore...setup as new..follow the on screen setup just to the point where you can access the SpringBoard(home screen).

After you get to the SpringBoard..don't do anything. I mean...nothing.

Then jailbreak with redsn0w...the latest redsn0w of coarse. 0.9.14b2.

Get redsn0w 0.9.14b2 from here: http://blog.iphone-dev.org/

zig9449 said:
Just download the 5.1.1 iPSW for your device *model* here: http://theiphonewiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=firmware

Then save it to your desktop. NEVER download iPSW files from Internet Explorer. Alway use Chrome or Firefox.

Plug in iPhone..enter DFU mode.

Open iTunes.

Hold done shift key on keyboard *while* you click the Restore button in iTunes.

Within the pop up window locate and double click the iOS 5.1.1 iPSW on your desktop.

Let iTunes do the rest.

Be sure to SETUP AS NEW device and NOT from any kind of backup. Not an iCloud backup..not an iTunes backup.

After restore...setup as new..follow the on screen setup just to the point where you can access the SpringBoard(home screen).

After you get to the SpringBoard..don't do anything. I mean...nothing.

Then jailbreak with redsn0w...the latest redsn0w of coarse. 0.9.14b2.

Get redsn0w 0.9.14b2 from here: http://blog.iphone-dev.org/

I've managed to get my phone back to where it was. iPhone 4 CDMA 5.1 JB tethered with redsn0w. What is the fastest way to untethered JB at this point? Can I stay on 5.1? Or do I need to update to 5.1.1 in order to untethered JB..? Also, what is the safest JB for the new iPad, version 5.1.1? Any help/input, again is outrageously appreciated.

Snake23 said:
I've managed to get my phone back to where it was. iPhone 4 CDMA 5.1 JB tethered with redsn0w. What is the fastest way to untethered JB at this point? Can I stay on 5.1? Or do I need to update to 5.1.1 in order to untethered JB..? Also, what is the safest JB for the new iPad, version 5.1.1? Any help/input, again is outrageously appreciated.

You cannot untether 5.1.

5.1 is an untethered jailbreak only.

That is why I instructed to update to 5.1.1.

Follow the instruction I gave you and you will have an untethered jailbreak.