What's new

Brand new iPhone 7 transfer using quick start

laakspen

Reaction score
Hi!
I have iPhone 6s running latest IOS 11. Now I have untouched iPhone 7 with IOS 10.
I'm eager to try "quick start" to move my stuff from 6s to 7.
Can I somehow upgrade iPhone 7 to IOS 11 and after that take it into use using using quick start or do I have to use "older methods" to tranfer my stuff to new phone?

BR
laakspen

Hi!
I have iPhone 6s running latest IOS 11. Now I have untouched iPhone 7 with IOS 10.
I'm eager to try "quick start" to move my stuff from 6s to 7.
Can I somehow upgrade iPhone 7 to IOS 11 and after that take it into use using using quick start or do I have to use "older methods" to tranfer my stuff to new phone?

BR
laakspen
Back up your iPhone 6S, then, after updating your iPhone 7 to iOS 11, restore it and set it up from the iPhone 6S backup you made. You can do this through iTunes or iCloud but the iTunes method is much faster. If you use the iTunes method back up your iPhone 6S while connected to iTunes and then with your iPhone 7 connected to iTunes, you can use the restore button and this will update it to the latest iOS version and when the update is completed you’ll have the option of setting it up as a new iPhone or from the backup of your 6S. This process will transfer everything that was on your old iPhone to the new iPhone.

Here’s how to use Quick Start.
Set up your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch
Transfer content from your previous iOS device to your new iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Last edited:
Sorry, you can only use Quick Set Up if both devices are running IOS 11. It would work with the new iPhone 8 ( with IOS 11 already installed).

Hi!
Thanks to both of you. I have to use old method.
BR
Laakspen

Hi!
I got my new iPhone 7 today (had to wait because my shop had delivery problems). Old 6s has 64 GB memory and new 7 has 128 GB memory.
To be sure: Is it ok to set up new phone from backup because the capacity is different. Lucky that new one is bigger.
BR
Laakspen

Yes, it is okay. The different storage space doesn’t matter. Just make sure the iPhone 7 has the same software as the 6s, or later.

Hi!
Thanks. Some feedback.
I upgraded new iPhone 7 from 10.3.3 to 11.03, restored iPhone 7 from iPhone 6s: last backup.
Everything essential was copied to new iPhone 7.
Missing issues:
- Here (navication app) maps was not copied
- All credentials (user id, psw) in apps had to be entered to new iPhone (is this security issue, or did I something wrong when bacuping / restoring?)

BR
Laakspen

Hi!
Thanks. Some feedback.
I upgraded new iPhone 7 from 10.3.3 to 11.03, restored iPhone 7 from iPhone 6s: last backup.
Everything essential was copied to new iPhone 7.
Missing issues:
- Here (navication app) maps was not copied
- All credentials (user id, psw) in apps had to be entered to new iPhone (is this security issue, or did I something wrong when bacuping / restoring?)

BR
Laakspen
It is a security issue.
In order to backup your passwords, health data, etc., you need to make an encrypted backup.