What's new

Brand new iPhone 4S owner!

LaurenRae

Reaction score
I've had my iPhone 4s for about 3 hours now. So far, I'm loving it! As soon as I got home, I started downloading apps and searched for an iPhone forum. This looks like a great place to hang out and get advice.

I don't know if it's better to ask my question in the general forum, but it's a basic question (I hope). My previous phone was a Blackberry, and I had to close all apps after using them, because too many open apps would drain the battery in a matter of hours. I did a search and found out how to close apps on the iPhone. My question is: MUST I close apps to prevent battery drain or clogging the system (the way programs always seem to do in Windows)? Thanks!

Welcome, I'm rather new to the iPhone world myself. Seems to be a bunch of friendly and knowledgeable people here!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 4s can handle all the apps running with no problem. I would recommend at least once a day close apps you don't need at all like the settings app. But if your on your phone a lot them apps will make a difference. But if you let your phone sit then your battery no matter what Should be decent.

Thanks! I opened a lot of apps just to look at them, and some to use them. I guess I won't worry about leaving open the apps I use the most. If I find my battery is getting depleted, I'll try closing more apps.

I did look look into getting a pedometer app, but the description for the app said that it uses GPS and that using GPS full time will deplete the battery. Maybe apps that work in the background full-time will be the problem apps.

Last edited:
Welcome Lauren... Sounds like you're in love! With a great little device. Enjoy.

Thanks! I opened a lot of apps just to look at them, and some to use them. I guess I won't worry about leaving open the apps I use the most. If I find my battery is getting depleted, I'll try closing more apps.

I did look look into getting a pedometer app, but the description for the app said that it uses GPS and that using GPS full time will deplete the battery. Maybe apps that work in the background full-time will be the problem apps.

I actually ran into a app that does this, I use imap for training and if you do not close it when your finished it continues to run in the background. That's the only one I've come across.😃

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apps deplete the battery when it works or opened, no matter what apps.

I think just being connected to WiFi depletes the battery (my Kindle is the same way), but being connected to WiFi saves my data plan from being depleted - it's a trade off, I guess. And just plain playing with the phone is probably depleting the battery - I'm using the phone a lot to customize it. I didn't waste any time finding apps, such as a browser I like and Facebook and a bazillion other things. I liked my Blackberry and I like my Kindle Touch, but I think (so far) the iPhone performs better than either.

Last edited:
I think just being connected to WiFi depletes the battery (my Kindle is the same way), but being connected to WiFi saves my data plan from being depleted - it's a trade off, I guess. And just plain playing with the phone is probably depleting the battery - I'm using the phone a lot to customize it. I didn't waste any time finding apps, such as a browser I like and Facebook and a bazillion other things. I liked my Blackberry and I like my Kindle Touch, but I think (so far) the iPhone performs better than either.
Using the internet over WiFi will use less battery than browsing the same over 3G. And yes... it's a common occurance for people to go through their battery like crazy initially from enjoying the device so much. :)

Using the internet over WiFi will use less battery than browsing the same over 3G. And yes... it's a common occurance for people to go through their battery like crazy initially from enjoying the device so much. :)

Ha-ha, thanks! I was hoping once the novelty wears off the battery will last longer.

It most certainly will. Also, be sure you're cycling your battery... running it down quite a bit before recharging and such.

Thanks! I was just reading a thread about that! I also found on the Apple site that I should do that.

Just following up on what I've learned from experience in the past five days, just in case someone stumbles upon this thread looking for battery advice.

I allowed my iPhone's battery to drain completely once. It took less than 24 hours. Therefore, I must conclude that open apps and/or heavy usage contributed to battery discharge.