What's new

Brand new

coolemerald

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I just joined today. In a few weeks I will finally be eligible for an upgrade, so I am making the plunge from Blackberry to iPhone. Shhh, don't tell anyone on the BB forums, haha! I have no issues, really, with the BB, I'm just bored with it. It's the only smartphone I've ever had, so I'm really ready for a switch.

So anyway, I know absolutely nothing about the iPhone other than it's a touch screen and everyone loves it. I will be getting the 4S. I'm going to be spending a lot of time in the next 2 weeks reading up on everything, and I thought this was a great place to start!

Welcome to the forums! I too was a bb user as well as an android user. I switched and bought my iPhone 4 a month and a half ago and I will never go back

That's good to hear, Chris, because I am a little bit nervous about it. Can you tell me why iPhone is better than BB? I keep asking all three of my daughters who switched from BB to iPhone, and all they say is stuff like "everything!" But that doesn't tell me anything specific. So why would you never go back to BB?

I find iOS to be far superior to every other phone. It works ALL the time, which was the main reason for going with the iPhone. BB's apps suck IMO, you literally have to do battery pulls everyday to keep it running fast, and quite frankly the only thing bb has going for it is it's email client. Android is garbage as well. I've owned numerous android phones and they all were VERY buggy. Had to restart/pull the battery a lot and the apps are pure garbage and force close all the time. It does depend on the phone but in general android is just a big let down. Iphones are on a completely different level. Your daughters are correct by saying everything is better lol. The apps are great even though not as many are free compared to bb and android. The phone just works. It's fast and never crashes. Call quality is phenomenal! I'm so happy I switched to my iPhone. It does take a little getting used to because it's a different operating system obviously. My only problem I had when I first got my iPhone was getting used to not having all the buttons on the phone and only having the one home button at the bottom lol. I know you'll love it though. You absolutely cannot hate a sweet phone that works perfectly all the time. A lot of people are going to tell you that you should jailbreak your phone as well... If you don't know what that is, it's basically just giving you access to do whatever you want to the phone including customizing the theme, custom apps that aren't in the apple app store, etc. I personally don't plan on ever jailbreaking my iPhone. I love how it is stock and if you haven't noticed yet, a large majority of posts on this site are about problems with people's iPhones after jailbreaking. Not everyone has problems but I do not want to jeopardize the realiabilty of my iPhone in any way.

Hope this helps man. I'm predicting a post by you titled "I love my new iPhone!!!" lol. Good luck!

I too came from a bb for personal and business. IMO they are from 2 different planets. The iPhone is definitely superior to the bb. I am very impressed and have told several people of how different it is. It doesn't crash, makes calls and is a business owners dream. I honestly don't understand the reluctance of some people to switch but it took my a long time myself.
I would say that you too will wonder why no one told you how great the iPhone is compared to the bb and why you waited so long. Your future posts will tell the tale. Good luck and enjoy a great product by Apple.

Thank you, Chris, for the great description, I really appreciate it and I'm more excited than ever no! And I agree with you on the whole jailbreaking thing. I'm afraid it would just cause problems doing that, and then the warranty would be null and void, wouldn't it?

And randco, yes, I've been reluctant because I'm self-employed and getting those emails and texts on time is absolutely crucial. But what you have to say makes me feel good about it.

So, thanks, guys!

So I'm eligible on Feb. 18, and ATT is even going to call me on that day to get this going, so I can't wait!

coolemerald said:
Thank you, Chris, for the great description, I really appreciate it and I'm more excited than ever no! And I agree with you on the whole jailbreaking thing. I'm afraid it would just cause problems doing that, and then the warranty would be null and void, wouldn't it?

And randco, yes, I've been reluctant because I'm self-employed and getting those emails and texts on time is absolutely crucial. But what you have to say makes me feel good about it.

So, thanks, guys!

So I'm eligible on Feb. 18, and ATT is even going to call me on that day to get this going, so I can't wait!

Well when you jailbreak, you can just restore if something breaks on the phone and you have to exchange so technically it doesn't void the warranty.

Good luck! You're gonna love it!

So, thanks, guys!

We are both in the same world and had the exact same reservations. Being self employed, you live and die by the phone. It took several years of aggravation with an inferior bb product to enentually move me to the best and most reliable handset a self employed contractor could ask for. By the way, I actually was initially talked into a Samsung Fascinate by Verizon for my company phones. That my friend was nothing short of a soup can with yarn. 3 months of aggravation led me to force a move of all company and personal phones to SOLELY iPhones! Haven't looked back since......

Randco, again, thank you for the reassurance. One thing some people say is that the iPhone is really only for media. Music & such. I'm not interested in that, never even had an iPod/Pad. But I do need reliability for my day-to-day business.