What's new

Bought iPhone 4 - Unsure if its fake

gamership

Reaction score
Hi,

I've bought an iPhone 4 from eBay and have concerns that it could be a fake and would really appreciate it if someone could help.

The phone says Model Number A1303 on the back, which upon researching looks to be the number of a 3GS, but it looks like a 4 and is definitely not a 3GS.
The sim tray refuses to open, and on attempt to open the rear case to sort it out from internally the plastic back case bends, which I thought it was glass on this model, and after this time a plastic covering with the apple logo came off.
The phone does not also charge when it is plugged into the USB so I am unable to turn it on to check if it is running IOS and therefore cannot find out the serial number etc.

So does this sound like a fake?

Thanks. The phone was bought in the knowledge that it needed a new battery fitted, which I beleived was easy to do.

I know I can get my money back if it is indeed fake, but being my first iPhone 4, i was not sure if it was real or not so thought i'd check on here.

I know I can get my money back if it is indeed fake, but being my first iPhone 4, i was not sure if it was real or not so thought i'd check on here.

Here are photos of the front and rear of my iPhone 4S. The front and back are both glass. The Apple logo is part of the glass back and cannot fall off. I would open an item not as described dispute as soon as possible. Make sure to state that the reason for the dispute is that you were sold a counterfeit iPhone. PayPal may or may not require you to return the phone to the seller if it's counterfeit. They may even ask you to send the phone to a different address. Follow whatever instructions you receive from PayPal regarding the return of the iPhone.

$image-674947669.jpg

$image-1457901681.jpg

scifan57, iPhone Forums Moderator

Last edited:
Thank you for posting those images, the font of 'iPhone' is definitely different on the one I have, and I will therefore take this issue up with eBay.

yes,i'm afraid i have to agree with scifan,hope you mange to get this sorted out.

yes,i'm afraid i have to agree with scifan,hope you mange to get this sorted out.

PayPal buyer protection will give the buyer a refund in the case of receiving an item not as described in the listing even if the seller refuses to refund the money voluntarily. In that case PayPal refunds the buyer with it's own money, then goes after the seller.

PayPal buyer protection will give the buyer a refund in the case of receiving an item not as described in the listing even if the seller refuses to refund the money voluntarily. In that case PayPal refunds the buyer with it's own money, then goes after the seller.

I'd dare say that's the beauty of Paypal, Amazon and eBay. Get your money back regardless, no pain in the rump, and they'll go after the seller themselves.

Here's a better picture of the back of my phone.

$image-3129751732.jpg

that's good then,i have no buying experience with ebay,just Amazon which so far has been great.....had a couple of items that were not up to scratch but i was refunded right away.

Particularly Amazon, they take legitimacy and satisfaction very seriously, which is why I love Amazon so much :p

But when it comes to cell phones, definitely make sure that the seller is reputable and is a certified distributor so that it's guaranteed that the unit is working. In most cases it'll cost a little more (not a lot) but definitely worth it to save time and hair.

BTW, you have 45 days from the time you paid for the item to open the item not as described dispute.