What's new

Bootloop and springboard reset... 5S

jntdroid

Reaction score
Yesterday my phone went into a bootloop that I couldn't get out of without going into "recovery" and restoring via iTunes. This morning it looked like it was going to do the same thing, but ended up being just a quick springboard reset. That's what I thought was going to happen yesterday, but it just keep looping, Apple logo, reboot, Apple logo, reboot, etc... hard reset wouldn't break the cycle, plugging into iTunes wouldn't (though iTunes recognized the phone while it was looping).

When it went into the loop, all I did was select download in the App Store to download and install the Gmail app. This morning when it reset, all I did was select Google Drive on my home screen to open it up the first time. This is a brand new 5S I picked up yesterday. In both cases, I was coming off of a fresh restore of my iCloud backup from about a week ago on my original 5S, and had been going through all of my restored apps, opening them to log into those that iCloud didn't save the account data. So I guess I had been doing a lot? But still... this never happened on my first 5S, and honestly I've never had a bootloop on any iOS device over the years.

My first response was that maybe there was a hardware issue causing the bootloop... and that's really my biggest concern since it's a brand new 5S. But to the more experienced iOS users out there, I wanted to throw this up on the forum to see if the majority of the response is something along the lines of, "You're crazy, clearly software related, ditch the iCloud backup and start fresh!" Or if it could very well be hardware related. I would assume if it was a hardware issue it would be happening more, or happen again, which is why the reset heightened my concern this morning. But it was by no means overheated or even hot when they both happened. I guess I'm just so used to this not happening on iOS, and since this is a new device, it has me concerned... :) TIA!

I don't know if it helps, as this gets over my head, but I found the .crash files and the resetcounter log files if those would help... There's a .crash and .log file from yesterday, but I can't tell if it's from before or after the bootloop / restore. The timestamp appears to be after I restored, but it didn't crash after I restored until the springboard reset this morning.