What's new

Problems making calls

fraserm728

Reaction score
My iPhone 5s more often than not fails on first attempt at a call to someone.

Here’s what happens.

I call someone,they answer,I can hear them but they can’t hear me. I hang up and re dial and it’s fine.

I’ve tried lots of things,turning off WiFi,resetting phone to factory settings,latest iOS...nothing helps.

Is it the phone or my carrier?

Anyone able to help?

Does it happen anywhere or only when you’re in certain locations? What signal strength are you seeing when it happens?

That happens to me once in a while, too. It happens at various locations, so I do not think it is a location issue, but I could be wrong.

Another thing that has started to happen too frequently is that Siri is "unavailable." Sometimes I can just turn the phone off and on again and Siri is back, but many times that remedy fails. Anyone else having this problem, too? I wonder if it has something to do with the new OS.

Does it happen anywhere or only when you’re in certain locations? What signal strength are you seeing when it happens?

It happens in certain locations,yes but not sure if that’s just because those locations are usually when I make calls.

It’s been on going for around 10months,just got sent a new SIM card which has not resolved issue.

I have been through various iOS during this fault which hasn’t rectified....

I’m starting to think it’s a handset hardware fault?

If you have a nearby Apple Store you could have the Genius Bar give your iPhone a full diagnostic. Even though it's long out of warranty, they'll tell you if there's a hardware fault or not.

One thing you should do before taking your iPhone to the Genius Bar is back it up. This way if Apple erases your iPhone as part of any servicing offered you can restore from the backup.