What's new

Bogus Temperature Warning

VaughnDonahue

Reaction score
Good evening everyone.

So here's my deal, and please hold off on any smart remarks here, as I am fully aware that I took some iPhone repairs into my own hands and my own risk.

I recently got an iPhone 4, and as I was putting into its Otter Box, the phone slipped, and the screen splintered. Getting a new phone would cost more than what I paid for it, so I figured I'd take my chances on a third party touch screen/LCD. I did the transplant myself, and it went without a single hitch. The screen works, and it looks beautiful.

After some premature celebration however, suddenly the screen went to the Temperature warning, saying the phone had overheated and needed to cool down before it could be used again.

Fine, I just let it sit for a while, restarted it, and checked it again. Never was the phone hot to the touch, nor was it excessively warm where I was at.

So it's been several days now, and that damn warning is still there. It will go away every 4 minutes or so, allow me to unlock my phone, maybe even send a 3-word text message, before it locks down again due to 'overheating' ...

So my question is...any ideas on how to bypass this warning or disable it? I know the standard issue response will be 'send it back to Apple for a replacement' ...but that's obviously not a viable option as I have already 'tainted' the product with a new screen and entered the 'holy place' that is the innards of any Apple product. An unforgiveable offense.

Anyhow, screen works awesome, phone is intact and all parts work...but not for longer than 20 seconds before it thinks it's overheating.

Any ideas would be welcomed! Thanks!

Just wondering which third party screen you used, I plan on putting an orange screen on my IP4 soon, so if I know what brand/ model you used maybe I can help.

Well, here's what I found. If you have an iPhone 4, it is a known issue with your hardware. From what I read, they will test the inner temp of your device. The moment it goes above 140 degrees, tat will call for an immediate replacement. Go to apple and let them run their test. Don't say too much, just the problem. Since it's a known hardware issue, you may just walk out with a replacement.

Good luck: The key here is It's a known issue with the iP4. (failing CPU)