What's new

Black Screen - Cannot unlock phone to retrieve data

bcomplex

Reaction score
The screen on my iphone has died and has gone totally black

I have connected it to itunes and tried unlocking it from memory but I can not successfully do so

Is there any way I can retrieve my data/photos etc - any programs that can retrieve the data or mirror the phone without needing it to be unlocked?

thanks in advance

You need your Apple ID and password to access your data.

You should be able to go to Apple.com on a Mac or PC and see your purchased Apps, Tunes and other data. Have you backed up to iCloud?

You should be able to go to Apple.com on a Mac or PC and see your purchased Apps, Tunes and other data. Have you backed up to iCloud?

I actually want the photos on my phone - not too worried about the apps - I havent backed up to iCloud

If you haven’t backed up to iCloud, then you may be out of luck man!!! Unless you can get that phone to reboot or power back up. Have you tried holding the buttons to perform a reset or place the phone into DFU mode?? If not, I would try these options first. If your phone is still working, but the screen is just dead, you should be able to plug it into your computer and find the photos when you go into iTunes on your computer. Good luck getting things sorted. Sounds like you’re in a bit of a pinch on this one. Give the above a try and keep trying. Sometimes it takes s few tries to get things to reboot or get to DFU mode. Which placing it into DFU mode, you may or may not be able to get the pics though. At any rate, good luck!! Also, if you can get to an Apple Store you may be able to get some help as well. Good day.

A final option would be to get the screen replaced. This would allow you to log into your iPhone and access the photos. Of course, this assumes that it's the screen that's faulty and not some component on the logic board.
A full diagnostic at the Genius Bar in the closest Apple Store would tell you exactly what's wrong.

You might not be able to retrieve any data unless you use iTunes - if you don’t mind using data a quick way to try erasing the phone is visiting Find My iPhone (here you can also back up phone). Click Erase/Restore.

See if that helps, otherwise It’s a hardware problem :(

Ben

You can’t back up the phone from Find my Phone.