What's new

Best IM app for Skype/WLM?

gotmilk0112

Reaction score
Previously, before the whole "Skype+Windows Live Messenger" merge, I was using IM+ and it worked great, especially with having my computer and my phone logged in at the same time, to get messages sent to both locations.

However, after the merger, it took IM+ many months to update the app to support the new "using Windows Live account to log into Skype" thing, and it seems to be quite buggy now. Often times, messages will get sent to my computer but not my phone, or vice versa.

I tried the official Skype app, but it seems to have the same problems, though only for select contacts. My contacts that were already Skype users, it works fine. My contacts that are also Windows Live converts, it only has the most basic functionalities, and on top of that, it has other problems, such as showing them as Offline despite the fact that they're Online on my computer's Skype. When this happens, even if I receive a message from them, it will show up in the little orange circle, but when I go to view it, it does not appear because the contact is appearing as Offline on the phone. Computer Skype receives it just fine and the contact is online, but on the phone, they appear offline and the message refuses to show up.

With how Windows Live converts are being treated like this, I'm thinking of just screwing the whole thing and getting a fresh new Skype account.

Are there any IM apps for iOS that fully support logging into Skype with a Windows Live login, and will actually work?

After a bit of tinkering with IM+, it appears to work fine, for the most part. It can send/receive messages just fine, and when I send a message from my computer, it gets copied to IM+.....but not the other way around. If I send a message from IM+, it does not get copied to Skype on my computer. Ugh.