What's new

Battery is shot on Iphone 5

familia5az

Reaction score
Will I have any problems getting a new battery at Apple being jail broken?

Will I have any problems getting a new battery at Apple being jail broken?
If your iPhone is jailbroken when you go to the Apple Store for service, they won't service it. What you have to do is remove your jailbreak and do a full backup of your iPhone before taking it in for service. This way, if they give you a replacement phone, you can jailbreak the replacement and set it IP with the backup you made.

scifan57, iPhone Forums Moderator

I'm over a year with no apple care. Battery is 80$

I'm over a year with no apple care. Battery is 80$

If you get it immediately serviced at the Apple Store (not all Apple Stores offer in-store-on-the-spot repairs/replacements), then you can backup your device, wipe it, get it repaired, then re-jailbreak it. If you can get it done literally by the end of this week, you can make the cut before 7.1 is released. Otherwise, you can DIY by buying the kit and following the instructions from iFixIt.com

Is the kit tough to do?

Tough to do, no. Mentality/physically demanding, yes. You have to be very patient when doing so so that you don't break anything or lose anything. The first time i underwent the process, it took about 30 minutes to do after meticulously checking to make sure that everything was where I found it. Overall, it takes about 15 minutes even if you're inexperienced. iFixit has a guide that shows you step by step what you're looking to do. Here's the iPhone 5 battery instructions.

With respect to the hardware itself, it's a fraction of the cost of what it costs for Apple to do it for you. And the battery comes with the tools you need to get it done at no extra cost. Delivery is fairly quick. Last time I ordered it, there was a snowstorm last year(?) and they delivered it on the minimum date that it said the delivery will take, so definitely A+ with that respect as well

Last edited:
I looked and can't get a solid answer on if I need adhesive for the new battery install for IPhone 5. Does kit from ifixit come with strips? Also, am I still good if I just decide to restore phone and take to apple today for replacement in the event I don't want to change myself? I don't want to lose jailbreak.

Last edited:
I looked and can't get a solid answer on if I need adhesive for the new battery install for IPhone 5. Does kit from ifixit come with strips? Also, am I still good if I just decide to restore phone and take to apple today for replacement in the event I don't want to change myself? I don't want to lose jailbreak.

Adhesive does not come with the new battery. It's not necessary to be honest. There's still a bit of adhesive left even after you take the old battery, so it'll still be sticky. It's also fairly snug in the slot without the adhesive as well, so either ways it'll stay put.

If you want to make an appointment, you can go ahead and do so as well. It's up to you.

Did you remove front panel as stated in ifixit video?

Battery replacement for the iPhone involves removing the back panel. The iPad involves removing the front panel

Sent from my iPad using Tapa

The video on Ifixit states removing the front panel for IPhone 5. Am I misunderstanding something

Tunnel visioned on the iPhone 4S and prior. Yes, the i5 removes the screen as opposed to the rear housing.

So..off the track this is taking...kinda hard to imagine your battery could be that bad in such a "relatively" new phone. My iPhone4 was still going strong when I sold it back to Verizon a few months ago. Wonder if you might try getting back to stock and do some tweaks to see if it's something "software" vs hardware?

Battery replacement was easier than I thought. Thanks again. I noticed the battery was 1380mah. I was under impression it was supposed to be 1440 from ifixit. Any ideas? Does it matter?