What's new

battery dying for no reason

Voidchaser

Reaction score
So for the first time today, 11/26, the battery in my iphone 4 started dying rapidly. I've had it over a year I'm paranoid this is something done on purpose to get me to purchase a new phone but I'm sure it's something more reasonable.
I've had great battery life but for the first time today my phone couldn't seem to survive more than an hour without being plugged in; it's died three times. I just did a backup because I'm wondering if I do a restore would it somehow alleviate this problem? I looked up doing a restore from new, not from backup, and it said it could help. I'm wondering if I do that would there be a way to restore from my previously saved restore point after that?
I hope I'm not being complicated, I know to close applications in the background. There's been no new additions, I've been updating the OS regularly--don't ask why just habit--and the last time was over a week ago. I've had no issues with iOs 7 or any of them afterwards, if there's an easy fix or even complicated one I'd like to find it rather than going out and buying a new phone.

Thanks,

Stone

Some thoughts and things to try.... First of all, were you in a new area with minimal cell service? Your phone searching for a signal will eat up a battery in no time!

Try turning off all location services and see if that makes any difference. If the battery still drains, try turning off cellular data and work off wifi if available and see if that makes any difference. Turn off as much stuff as you can and then turn on little by little. Of course this will take time. These aren't answers, but merely ways to investigate.

I haven't moved or done anything different. I had hit bluetooth by accident so I thought "oh for sure that's it" but even after turning it off it still drained fast. I had it on airplane mode most of the morning until break at work from then on after that it was 20% within two hours. died lil while after that, then twice when i got home n charged it back to life.

Hmm, that doesn't sound good. You can get a replacement battery and how-to at ifixit if it ends up being a dying battery. Hopefully someone else here will chime in with more/ better info for you.

I noticed something VERY weird this morning. not only was the battery draining within the first minute I had taken it off the charger but when I went to delete some emails, going into edit to do it for multiples, it would unclick the bubble by itself. And when i went to slide to trash it kept unsliding back and I saw I was still in edit but the "done" button kept like flashing and it was very creepy. When I set the phone to airplane mode I could delete the emails but I've never seen anything like this.