What's new

Bar code scanner app

wjbarricklow

Reaction score
Anyone know of a good general purpose bar code scanner app for an iPhone?

What I'm trying to do is read a 12 digit bar code on a relatively small, orange and black tag, about an inch long and wide as a Bic pen. Preferably it would be an app that could paste a whole list of these codes into a document (or on the clipboard) so I could copy and paste them into a spreadsheet.

I waded through some free apps, and bought an app that reads a lot of labels, but it won't pick up this one. And it only copies one at a time.

You are likely going to need to pay someone to develop this for you.

Reading a barcode is simple.

Doing the special thing you want to do afterward is not likely going to be something that someone else already wanted to do, so finding a general purpose scanning app that let's you scan a bunch of barcodes and then send those to a spreadsheet is going to be hard to locate.

Honestly, I would be willing to settle for something that would just read the bar code. I tried one from iOS6, and it did great when I tried it on some shipping labels. Doesn't work on the tags I'm trying to scan. I don't know if it's because of the way the tag's coded- the app I have right now reads 16 types of bar codes. Maybe it's the size of the tag or color of the tag?