What's new

Backup email and move to IMAP

dilalio

Reaction score
Hi group.
Am new to this forum so this is my first post.

I use my iphone for both work and personal and have email addresses for each. The work email is a sub account of my main btyahoo personal ac.

I send and receive messages for both ac's while at work.

I am currently using POP protocol via btyahoo but am concerned that losing or breaking my iPhone would mean all sent emails (on the phone) would be lost, so I want to move over to IMAP, which I believe would protect against this potential disaster. I have also read that btyahoo offer IMAP email but have yet to confirm.

Anyhow, before I do this I want to be able to archive all of my current 'sent' emails and then restore them with the associated accounts once I have converted to IMAP.

So, in essence I want to move over to IMAP and have all my email restored as it currently is right now.

Is there any online documentation that can assit me with this or can anyone here help me carry out the process?

Many thanks,
D.

First you should sync your mail accounts in iTunes to some mail client on your computer

From there you should be able to move the sent items onto the server for your account or just off your phone

Also check on the yahoo account it might have a lot of the emails still, do you ever log in through the web browser?

I'll be looking back at this, you have a problem I am interested in figuring out because idk how this works.

---
I am here: [ame]http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=40.707639,-73.948836[/ame]

Taboo8614 said:
First you should sync your mail accounts in iTunes to some mail client on your computer

From there you should be able to move the sent items onto the server for your account or just off your phone

Also check on the yahoo account it might have a lot of the emails still, do you ever log in through the web browser?

I'll be looking back at this, you have a problem I am interested in figuring out because idk how this works.

---
I am here: Video Link: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=40.707639,-73.948836

Can I do that? Sync mail with Mail on my mac using iTunes? Including all messages? Didn't know that could be done. Will have a go.

Before getting my iPhone, I used both Mail on my mac and webmail to manage both my btyahoo accounts to send and receive messages AND now on the iPhone too, so they are all over the place and that's why I want to get it sorted and have them all synchronised as there are some important messages amongst the usual chaff!

Thanks for your interest, let me know how I can get the webmail side of things synced as well.

Cheers
d.

Ok that's understandable that you have them everywhere, this is why imap is so great! Hope all of this is working out for you.

You can sync you iPhone mail accounts with mail.app by going to the info tap of your device in iTunes (you can also sync contacts, bookmarks & notes)
This sync might create a new account in mail.app or it will merge the 2 you have together (a new one would be better) you can fallow the steps below with the account

You need yo setup a 2nd mail account in mail.app as you yahoo account using imap or exchange & let it sync.
Next take all the emails from your pop account/iPhone sync and drag n drop them into a folder on the 2nd account you just created.

I really want to know how the iPhone mail sync went like if it created a 2nd account or not, also let me know if I missed any ?'s

---
I am here: [ame]http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=40.707721,-73.948741[/ame]

Sent from my Verizon iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

Thanks. I will get on to this but am v busy at the moment. As soon as I have time to sit at my mac ( with a coffee) I will give it a try and report back :)

iPhone4 IMAP is better than the others. Thank goodness! I hope you had yours working already.

Thanks. I will get on to this but am v busy at the moment. As soon as I have time to sit at my mac ( with a coffee) I will give it a try and report back :)

How's that coffee tasting?

Sent from my iPad 2 using Tapatalk