What's new

Auto Kill apps app

BRTindahouse

Reaction score
So that sounds extremely awkward, but basically I'm looking for the iPhone equivalent of the android auto kill app. Does anyone know of one?

BRTindahouse said:
So that sounds extremely awkward, but basically I'm looking for the iPhone equivalent of the android auto kill app. Does anyone know of one?

Not unless your jailbroken, but you can terminate stock iOS apps by double tapping the home button, which pulls up your multitasking tray, then you hold down on the app you want to terminate until it starts to jiggle with a red (-) on the top left corner of the app icon, then hit the red (-) which terminates the app! Hope this helps!

iPhone 4 16Gb 4.2.8 (jbme 3.0) Moderator @ iPhoneforum staff

So if I jailbreak my iPhone there is an app that I can set when to autokill apps (say after 10 min of non use or so)? What are the advantages/disadvantages to jailbreaking?

BRTindahouse said:
So if I jailbreak my iPhone there is an app that I can set when to autokill apps (say after 10 min of non use or so)? What are the advantages/disadvantages to jailbreaking?

Well I'm not sure if there is an app that'll auto kill your background. Well the advantages are plentiful. The reason I jailbroke was to get BiteSMS which is a way better SMS app than the stock one. I also jailbroke to get my3G, and SBsettings. There is no disadvantages in my book. It does void your warranty, but all you have to do is factory restore your iPhone if you need to take it back to apple.

darkstar2007 said:
Does it do it automagically? Lol :D!

It uses activator triggers so you can set how you want to close apps. It's good

iCrank said:
It uses activator triggers so you can set how you want to close apps. It's good

Well I'm gonna go try it our now lmao!

Auto killing apps in iOS 4 is absolutely pointless. In fact it waste CPU, battery and will slow down overall operation of the phone under certain situations.

And if you are running Android version 2.2 or higher the same rule applies.

iOS and Android haven't needed task killers for over a year. And if I could only have one wish for smartphone users is that they would never have access or knowledge of task killer apps again.

Yep. No need to kill all the background apps for the iPhone...

Why not? Killing apps from the background free some memories and so smoothly run some other apps. Well for a power user like me, I need to kill apps as soon as I'm mot using them, in fact it become like a culture for me actually, I'm completely used to kill my apps when I know I don't need it by using multi cleaner trigger activations.

Yep. No need to kill all the background apps for the iPhone...

Why not? Killing apps from the background free some memories and so smoothly run some other apps. Well for a power user like me, I need to kill apps as soon as I'm mot using them, in fact it become like a culture for me actually, I'm completely used to kill my apps when I know I don't need it by using multi cleaner trigger activations.

Lets go over the reality of the situation. To make the playing field level for everyone I am going to start with a brand new iPhone 4 with iOS 4.3.X installed and the phone was just activated.

Since this is a new phone you decide to test every app and launch Mail, Messages, Phone, Safari, Calendar, Clock, App Store, Notes, Settings, Calculator, Weather, Stocks, iTunes Store, Music, Contacts, Camera, Maps, Voice Control, Compass, Photos and Game Center.

Now lets discuss HOW iOS works to do all of that. The very first lesson that needs to be learned is that iOS is a Unix based Operating System. I am going to boil a lot of stuff down to one sentence about Unix. Unix is a FILE based Input/Output OS. That means for every process there is a file on disk to represent it. This design allows Unix, and in fact all *NIX based OSes including Linux, to operate in a very small memory environment but still be multitasking. This multitasking is maintained by a memory manager that rolls processes out of memory as new processes are needed in memory.

Lets me say that again: iOS has a memory manager that checks to see if a process will fit into the remaining memory space and if it doesn't it unloads processes until it does.

While that statement's ramification sinks in lets go over the steps that occur.

1) iOS is running the user interface, Springboard.
2) iOS is time slicing thru core applications such as listen for push notifications, check hardware interrupts, check software interrupts, poll external data sources.
3) iOS is flagging each process based on what that process did during its time frame of CPU usage.

Note to all OS guys: Yes I simplified the hell out of how it really works. Please for the love of all things holy don't turn this discussion into the finer points of round robin process execution and how it is accomplished.

Now you decide to make a phone call. The task managers first issues is to poll the OS process list and see if the app is in memory already. If it is, bring the application/process out of sleep/wait mode and make it active.

But lets say it isn't in memory. Task manager then asks the memory manager to free up X amount of memory based on the applications requirement. Memory manager now has to look at every process in memory and see what state it is in. Is it marked as Wired (a priority to keep a process in memory no mater what)? Yes? Skip. Is it running? Yes? Skip. Now for the remaining processes not running or marked as wired, they each have a set of flags that have been collected over time. How many times the process has been used, how much CPU time it has used and a few other items. Those flags help the memory manager determine who is a candidate for being unloaded from memory.

Now I just listed a lot of events. And there is a LOT of code executing to accomplish this. But here is the really cool part. It happens in less than a tenth of a second. You won't even notice something that happens that fast. Your finger will still be pulling away from the screen by the time this whole process has finished.

So now we have determined that iOS is capable of choosing which apps need to stay in memory versus which don't to load a new app.

But about now the OCD "I have to clear memory manually" users are thinking, ok I am just helping the OS do its job. No harm, no foul. And technically you are 100% correct. Except you are now causing the CPU to execute more which in turn uses more battery.

That's right. There is actually a PENALTY involved in what you have done. Because iOS and Android both try to save battery and CPU execution time by keeping as many apps in memory at one time as possible. This keeps it from having to move applications from external storage to internal memory. Which costs battery life. Pure and simple.

Now the next argument used by people who use task killers is "But if you leave an application in memory it is wasting CPU time". The simple answer is "wrong". If an application has now actively running code then the task manager doesn't even bother to touch it as it executes processes.

BTW, the next argument I always hear on this subject is "But it makes me feel better and in control". You know what, I don't even bother to argue that point. Because if the logic of the how things work doesn't convince them they are wasting their time and their phones battery, then nothing is going to change their mind.

Last edited:
Skull One, thanks very much for the theory, I really appreciate it, but the practice of everything you said there are the complete opposite or I will say almost. Let me tell you, I'm having a better battery life than you do if you really don't kill your apps from the multitasking bar, as a matter of fact I have about 10h to 11h of usage time with my battery, I bet you don't have such a long time with your battery. The realities with these phones aren't what ever you named there otherwise Apple wouldn't even bother creating a multitasking and better, Apple wouldn't even care a second about allowing the choice to kill apps from the multitasking. Again you just theory and Apple knows that theory and practice aren't the same.
Well I will not write much like you did, I will go straight to the point here by uploading some pictures for you to see what happening with the process and the memory.
7b7980a0-3296-3fcd.jpg
here I just hard reset the iPhone. And that's the memory I get right after the phone boot up completely, keep in ming the time on top there and the battery percentage level.

7b7980a0-3311-4b6f.jpg
here I run some few applications, they are suppose to be freeze in the multitasking bard and the following is the remaining amount of memory I'm having after opening 5 or 6 light applications--->
7b7980a0-33bd-a839.jpg
see how much memory have been used? Yet see the time on the screenshoot, and see my battery percentage. Now I will open more applications in the background, say 12 applications and here is what I have left like memory -->
7b7980a0-3495-89ab.jpg
you see? Check the time an calculate how long has passed, see my battery, all apps in the background are suppose to be freeze right? And the more I'm opening apps the more the system according to you will free up memories right? Yet it's still eating up memories even though all apps are just in the background and that's not all, it's draining my battery minutes after minutes. See the process of what I'm having in the back ground next --->
7b7980a0-3589-894c.jpg
7b7980a0-359b-6172.jpg
it's the same apps on the 2 images, only the phone app is more on the second image.
At this point, the phone it self run well but scrolling in the setting on in safari become laggy, memory is still low, and then when I make a phone call to the iPhone while having the memory manager app open, the incoming call is received with a delay, I could hear the other phone calling, but the iPhone took about 3~4 seconds before start ringing and before the call answering screen showed up, here is the screenshot of what I get while the other phone was already calling and while the iPhone was trying to make spaces to e ale to answer the call --->
7b7980a0-370c-6eb8.jpg
you see? Instead of it to free spaces, it eat up more memories, see the time? See my battery?
Notice that I just open all those application and leave the there in the background, they aren't running on screen, I only had the memory app on the screen and later the incoming call screen. Can you now guess what will happen to the device in case I have to receive a face time call? It will just freeze easily and simple, and so when a member will come on the forum here with not being able to receive face time call because the phone freeze, you will advice that member to hard reset his or her phone to free some memory right?
Keeping apps in the background won't only eat up your memory space which can cause the phone or apps crash or freeze, but also at the same time it will be eating up your battery minutes after minutes. Like I said before I always free close every apps I do not need and I can go to 10~ 11h of usage time with my iPhone. And apple wouldn't create any multitasking bar with the ability to kill apps if they really was thinking like you, but theory is theory and practice is what makes the differences. Again, I should mention that one who is not a power user can follow your theory without worries, but anyone using the iPhone all the time and running several apps on it should care about killing apps from the multitasking and that's why the multitasking is there btw, Apple didn't put it there just because it's sexy, buy because it helps save battery life and free memory. Skull one, read the user manual to know about what apple said about the multitasking and also read about what is the use of the hard reset and why to hard reset. Now you know.

Ok, I should have been more clear.

ON AN iPHONE 4 UNDER iOS 4.3.X.....

You are on an iPhone 3 that is JAILBROKEN. The rules CHANGE DRASTICALLY under that condition. OF COURSE you are going to see a difference doing it your way.

Everything I have typed here was in regard to the LAST YEAR of iOS/Android and the Hardware released in the time frame.

Why do you think Apple changed things so radically from the iPhone 3 to the 4 along with the kernel used for iOS? They learned from all the complaints about BATTERY LIFE. When they analyzed the issue, guess what they saw? More MEMORY with a better MANAGER would produce better battery life.

Now you see why I stated iOS 4 and Android 2.2 or greater early on.

BTW, I get 10 hours of ON SCREEN time with 14 hours of standby time PER CHARGE on my iPhone 4.

Ok, I should have been more clear.

ON AN iPHONE 4 UNDER iOS 4.3.X.....

You are on an iPhone 3 that is JAILBROKEN. The rules CHANGE DRASTICALLY under that condition. OF COURSE you are going to see a difference doing it your way.

Everything I have typed here was in regard to the LAST YEAR of iOS/Android and the Hardware released in the time frame.

Why do you think Apple changed things so radically from the iPhone 3 to the 4 along with the kernel used for iOS? They learned from all the complaints about BATTERY LIFE. When they analyzed the issue, guess what they saw? More MEMORY with a better MANAGER would produce better battery life.

Now you see why I stated iOS 4 and Android 2.2 or greater early on.

BTW, I get 10 hours of ON SCREEN time with 14 hours of standby time PER CHARGE on my iPhone 4.

I'm on iPhone 4 iOS 4.3.3 and yes jailbreak.
I do not know how things was going on older iPhones like 3GS or 3G, but whatever, you theory doesn't stand the road with iPhone 4 with iOS 4.x
It isn't even a matter of jailbreak if you think that jailbreaking makes a difference, I was using stock iOS for 2~3 months, and even recently I got my iPhone 4 change into a new one and had to use it stock, I mean without jailbreak for 2weeks, battery would die fast if I leave apps freezing in the multitasking and apps would crash as well. Good that you can go to 10h of usage with your iPhone.