What's new

Are Control Center and Notifications not available after power cycle?

ardchoille

Reaction score
I'm running iOS 10.0.2 on an iPhone 6s. After restarting the phone, it appears that neither Control Center (pull up from bottom of screen) nor notifications (pull down from top of screen) are available until the user unlocks the phone the first time. I seem to remember being able to access both of these items after a restarton previous versions of iOS without first having to unlock the phone. I know you have to unlock the phone the first time after a power cycle before Touch ID will work, but I don't remember this also applying to the CC and notifications.

Can someone else verify if they have the same limitation?

Last edited:
Interesting. Hadn't noticed that. Also, the widget screen and camera are not available until the passcode has been entered.

Sent from my iPhone using Apple iPhone Forum
Ah, you're right, I hadn't noticed that either. I'm guessing that there were some changes that might pose security risks if those elements were immediately available upon restart.

Oh I see you mean after restart. (Crawls into cave)
Yeah, it all has to do with the restart. I'm thinking that Apple's changes in iOS 10 might pose problems if someone stole the device and immediately cycled power in order to exploit a bug to view contacts or photos or something. I remember that we had such a bug a few years ago.