What's new

New iOS 7 Features Include Control Center, and Notification Center in Lock Screen

Maura

iPhoneForums.Net News Team
Staff member
Reaction score
[FONT=&amp]
12623-ios-7.JPG

Aside from the radical new design look for iOS 7, Apple has today revealed many new features that are ushered in by the new OS. We're going to attempt to tell you about some of them here! First up we have Control Center, whereby all the controls that you want to access are bundled together in one easy-to-locate place that can be accessed with just one swipe from the bottom of your screen. Doing so will bring up controls for Airplane Mode, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth or Do Not Disturb, as well as other features such as the screen brightness control, or AirPlay streaming, not to mention instant access to your Clock, Camera, and Calculator.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Next up, a very popular move, with Notification Center now available directly from the Lock screen, so all you have to do is swipe to see all your notifications. A new feature called Today has been added to Notification Center, giving you an at-a-glance view of your day, and a summary of the most important details, such as weather, traffic, meetings and events. [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]iOS 7 also brings with it improvements to multitasking via a new API for developers, so that any app can now be programmed to multitask in the background. Users will be able to switch between their apps in a more visual and intuitive way. iOS 7 will also keep an eye on the apps that you use the most and automatically keep your content updated in the background. Nice touch! [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]AirDrop is another new feature, a new way to quickly and easily share content with contacts that are nearby. Transfers are fully encrypted to ensure your content is private and protected. [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Possibly one of the most exciting of the new features is the new Camera app, complete with Instagram-style filters with which you can add real-time photo effects, as well as a square camera option to add to the video, photo, and panorama options, complete with the ability to switch between all four options with just a swipe. [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Other new features in an already long list are a redesigned Photos app with new Moments feature, which enables you to automatically organize your photos and videos based on time and location, and a redesigned Safari user interface.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Siri also gets a look in, with new male and female voices, and Twitter search integration, so you can now ask Siri to search Twitter mentions, and Siri also now has Wikipedia integration. [/FONT]

“iOS 7 is the most significant iOS update since the original iPhone,” said Craig Federighi, Apple’s senior vice president of Software Engineering. “To create it, we brought together a team with a broad range of expertise from design to engineering. With what we’ve been able to achieve together, we see iOS 7 as an exciting new beginning.”
[FONT=&amp]Apple says that iOS 7 will be available this fall for iPhone 4 and later, iPad 2 and later, iPad mini and iPod touch (fifth gen).[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Source:[/FONT] Apple

Here's my dilemma.... I have developer access to the BETA right now. However, I am jailbroken. If I update, I lose jailbreak. However, some (most) of the tweaks I use are baked into iOS 7 as it is. (I would mainly just lose use of VLC Media Player, iTransmission, iFile, and TetherMe, and BiteSMS.) Those are kinda a big deal... However, more stable of an OS that has the UI I like implemented in it would be a huge bonus.... Thoughts? Do you think it's worth it, or should I stay until there is a confirmed jailbreak for iOS 7?

Here's my dilemma.... I have developer access to the BETA right now. However, I am jailbroken. If I update, I lose jailbreak. However, some (most) of the tweaks I use are baked into iOS 7 as it is. (I would mainly just lose use of VLC Media Player, iTransmission, iFile, and TetherMe, and BiteSMS.) Those are kinda a big deal... However, more stable of an OS that has the UI I like implemented in it would be a huge bonus.... Thoughts? Do you think it's worth it, or should I stay until there is a confirmed jailbreak for iOS 7?

I'm Jailbroken on all my devices but if I had access to iOS 7 I'd def be on it...it's always great to have the new and improved 'thing' to me....

For me looks like ios7 has almost all the tweaks I use except zephyr (for swipe up to dismiss app instead of home button) but it doesn't say if it's an included feature or not. If it does have that feature I'd have no reason to jb, as I have verizon that comes with built in free tethering.