What's new

Appstore says apps not compatible with this iphone.

dranas

Reaction score
I have a 3G. I jailbroke it so I can use it on T mobile. I try to install apps from the appstore and it says this app not compatible with this phone. It has happend about 12 different times on 12 different apps. Any suggestions would be appreciated. My ios version is 4.2.1

Means... the apps you're trying to download require a newer iOS version that you're running. iOS 4.2.1 is the highest you can go on the iPhone 3G.

Facebook, for example, requires iOS 5.0 or higher.
5e8e6u3a.jpg

Thanks a ton, i feel like a nublet now. I have never used an I phone before. Is there a way to sort apps by ios version?

Thanks a ton, i feel like a nublet now. I have never used an I phone before. Is there a way to sort apps by ios version?

Unfortunately no. Just need to check it's compatibility. I will say, though, that roughly 90% of the App Store apps will require iOS 5.0 or higher... if not 6.0 or higher at this point.

If you'd like to properly utilize those apps you'll, unfortunately, need a newer iPhone.

Is there a way to find older apps that work on ios 4?

You'll have to manually find them. There aren't any compiled lists that states the iOS requirements for apps. The minimum now for about 99% of apps in the AppStore is iOS 4.3 and higher, rarely will you find an app below that.

thats rather depressing. It's a forced upgrade huh.

Well in most cases, it would be aimed more towards performance. The 3G's hardware is a bit lacking compared to the 3GS and 4, and especially the 4S and 5, so you'll have some really choppy performance.

Hardly a forced upgrade. The phone came out in June 2008, 4 upgrades to the phone since then. The IOS has been out since November 2010 and has been updaded at least a dozen times since then.