What's new

Apps will not update!!!!

Thomasjtsi

Reaction score
iPhone 4S... stock iOS 6.1.2. Cannot update apps! Just sits and sits and sits... says "Waiting..." below apps that need updated. Here's what I've done so far...

1. Signed out & in w/ iTunes & App Store on the phone... no results
2. Hard Reset.... no results
3. Reset Network Settings... no results
4. Reset All Settings... no results
5. Deleted Apps and tried downloading again on iPhone... ALL Apps I've redownloaded are now "Waiting..."
6. Deleted Apps from phone... downloaded via iTunes app store on PC... then synced to iPhone... no results
7. Updated iPhone to 6.1.3 and synced... no results.

I'm seriously pulling my hair out w/ this!! Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Can you access data in other ways? Will safari work for instance?
I've had this issue and signing out of the AppStore and signing in usually works.. You've went beyond that!

Also signed out & in of iTunes & the App Store on the phone. (Updating OP to reflect this)

Yes... everything works fine on both cellular data and Wifi.

This is a rather interesting situation. My next steps, if the phone were mine, would be:

Erase All Content and Settings.
Create new iCloud account.
Sign into app store with new account.
Download one app.

If it works you have proven the phone is "probably" not defective. If it fails, time for a repair.

If the phone works, remove iCloud account. Add original account back.
Sign out of app store and enter original account back.
Download one app.

If the app doesn't download then the account itself is the issue. If it does work, then you have to start looking at a memory issue. Add apps back until it stops working. If it fails after X apps, time for a repair.

So really... the iCloud acct. will mess up installing new and/or updating apps?

I'm away from the phone for the evening... so I'll give it another go tomorrow.

If the account is not in good standing, yes it will cause issues. But the procedure also test the only other possible culprit, memory.

Without the phone in hand... I'm not 100% sure... but I'm pretty site he doesn't even have an iCloud acct. set up. I'll check tomorrow though. And by "memory..." do you mean the memory might be corrupt? And the phone would in turn need replaced as mentioned above...

And... as I'm reading back over this we're talking about "iCloud" and not his "iTunes" account?

Actually you are dealing with both. iCloud accounts now play a larger role than they used to on iDevices. Which is why I believe doing a 100% reset of the phone, creating a new iCloud account and then using that account for iTunes will hopefully narrow down the issue to either the on board memory or to an account issue (starting one) with iTunes.

Haven't got over to his house yet to work on it. It'll be a few more hours...